1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contract Ideas??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by POWER WAGON, Nov 4, 2004.

POWER WAGON Junior Member

I Am 20 Yrs Old And Just Started My Own General Contacting Business. I've Been Plowing For About 4-5 Years Now. Not As A Low Baller Either. However I Find My Self In Predicament About A Contract. I Do Have A $1,000,000 Liability Policy. WHAT MOST CONCERNS ME IS THE SLIP-N-FALL(GET-RICH-QUICK). RESIDENTAL PAYMENT,BY STORM,BY MONTH,BY PUSH. OPEN FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What is your question?

If it's how do I keep someone from sueing for a "get rich quick" - you don't. That's why you have insurance. Best you can do is document when and how you serviced an account. Record time arrived, conditions upon arrival, weather conditions, what you did, what time you left and what the weather was doing when you left.
  3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I have not had the opportunity to test my contract in court yet, but it could happen to anyone. I also have commercial insurance. We supply snow plowing and salting by the hour. Not snow removal or clearing walks. It appears to limit my liability. I have been doing this for 20 years and I still have business, even with the lower priced contractors hovering around. We sell our service as the best available. We schedule lightly, 4 hrs per truck per AVERAGE storm, 4 trucks, 1 back up plus I know other contractors who will back up if needed and my back up sits unless it's needed. We plow every 3".

I pay my back up people the entire $ I charge WHEN I need them. Granted I don't make any $ on these occasions but it keeps my service strong and my back up people motivated. My scheduling may appear light but in a real storm it's alot of work. The lighter schedule is also much easier on my equipment which I use year round as a GC.
  4. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Agreed, you can't stop anyone from the "get rich quick" routine. The key is document, document, and more documentation. In addition, you may want your contract reviewed by an attorney. To save a little money (at least it did for me) write up a generic contract and have the attorney review it. This may help (don't really know) ward off some of those slip and falls before they ever grow legs.

Also, I've been taking pictures of my accounts vefore I leave with my digital camera. I then attach the pictures to my documentation. Whether or not this does any good is anyones guess, but I look at it as for five minutes worth of work it can possibly further deter lawsuits. I look at it as, it was clear when I left, here is the proof. Who actually knows if they'll believe the proof.