1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contract I verbally agreed to

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Goldendog, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Goldendog

Goldendog Junior Member
    from Alaska

I have an issue with a contract for a small apartment complex I verbally agreed to today. Think I got a fair price for the plowing and it's an easy plow but now have problems with the individual that owns it.

After talking to a friend of mine that got me started plowing he gave me a bunch of information on the guy that I have problems with. The individual has been convicted of child molestation three times and did a long stint in prison. He owes money to a bunch of business and has lost his construction business due to his past.

I have issues with what he went to prison for and am having second thought. I did however give the guy my word with a handshake and said I would email him the contract for signature. I'm old school and take a man at his word and handshake. He did his time and does deserve a second chance but I'm going to have a hard time dealing with him now that I knowing his history.

Please give me your thoughts. I want to stick to my word but I'm torn at what to do on this.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Yikes...this is a hard one! I have no problem giving someone a second chance that robbed a bank to feed their kids. Is it wrong...HELL YES but a little easier to understand than child molestation. If you are looking for a way out of it then use his previous business practices as a way to get out of it. At the end of the day you need the green in your pocket to survive. I respect a man that sticks to his word but I dont respect a man that takes advantage of kids......

3. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

GoldenDog,

I'm from the old school too, but I'll tell you right now that the hand you shook was not that of another man! I know we are not supposed to judge people, but that's pure evil! If it's bothering that much tell him somethings come up and your not going to be able plow his lot! What's going to happen when he doesn't pay you? Your going to know his history and want to bury him! It's not worth the headache! Drop him like a bad habit! Good Luck!

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I'd never work for someone who's done that to a child. I don't care what my financial situation is, I'll never be desperate enough to work for a person like that.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly right! Good post.

6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I quit doing business with a local landscaping supplier that was involved in a drunk driving accident that took the life of a nine month old infant. I flat out told him that I was disgusted by his actions and he wouldn't see another dime from me.

If the guy truly was in prison for child molestation, I would tell him that you aren't comfortable doing business with him. If you don't want to bring that up with him, question him about his financial history. Tell him what you have heard and that you just can't take the financial risk.

7. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I don't think I could have said it better!

Good for you! Thumbs Up

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Didnt someone make this EXACT same thread lat year????

9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I would flat out ask him about his past. Or at least say, hey I heard this about you after our convo. Maybe he has changed, but if he still owes money, probably not. Some people just are not smart financially.

There is a company around here that had an illegal alien driving one if their trucks one day. Well he was driving to fast for conditions and killed a couple people from a kids family that I coached for, including the kid and his dad. Somehow the company was able to sell all its' shares, but buy them all back. Now they are doing great, and that just sickens me. All new tricked out trucks and still illegal aliens working for them. I wouldn't want anything to do with them.

10. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

If he owes money, and you have proof of debt or tax problems (I look every person up if I am doing multiple properties or pushes that are over $500 per push, and I recommend you do the same).... RUN! Even if he is a nice guy and WOULD pay you....the gov't could dip their hand in his pocket and you could end up S.O.L.! Good luck, and as for the ethics side of it... I'd have no problem taking money from a child molester. I have a problem giving it to them. LOL. And just remember there are two sides to a story. Some people are on the sex offender list for nudey photos of pretty girls that look well beyond their age sent by text.... crap happens and the rest is just hearsay. Good luck.

11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I agree with others on this, but I am going to add something in here. Make damn sure you are correct in the assumption you are making because you are about to accuse someone of a most heinous thing and if you (or your friend) is mistaken, it wouldn't suprise me one bit if he takes issue with you.

12. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

X2 on this one.
    I wouldn't be happy if someone called me out on something like that even if it isn't true. If it is true....you might make him that much more angry.... I wouldn't say anything to him about it. I also wouldn't leave my kids with him though.

Heinous, yes.... a very dark "crime". But he is a customer, and the customer is always right if they remain a customer. If you don't want to deal with any specific person just say no in a polite and nondescript way.

13. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

GREAT point

14. Goldendog

Goldendog Junior Member
    from Alaska

Didn't accuse him of anything. Did look him up in the court records and verified. Do agree that some are convicted that are innocent. Leaning toward doing what I verbally agreed to and dropping the account after that. My wife said to take the money donate it a charity for abused children and walk away in the spring.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What is wrong with the man's money????? Is he getting paid to molest children? Why would the people renting his apartments not receive snow removal services because of their landlord's past distasteful as it may be? Of course given the slightest suspicion of impropriety I'd be on him like stink on.............flies on honey

Handshake contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. You say you are a man of your word, but what about the other party? Since you already question his moral turpitude then perhaps you need to follow that handshake up with some signatures.

16. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I'm with basher on this one personally I try very hard not to judge people. Business is business, as long as the checks clear. That is where I would be more concerned you aren't looking to make a friend out if this guy, your looking to do work & get paid. Now if he is a pain calls constanly for above scope service, doesn't pay, etc. Then by all means dint work fir him. Most important get a signed contract with a good cancelations & collection clause.

17. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I see you did, but this is important. Don't make assumptions.

No way I would work for a scumbag like this. I don't care if his check clears or not. He should still be in prison at best.

18. Valk

Valk Junior Member
    from S.E. PA

You state that he already owes a bunch of money to other business's, what makes you think he is going to pay you? That there would be a red flag to me. I am old school also, but I would have to walk away on this one. JMO

19. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

This guy has multiple red flags for me.

20. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Besides all the other stuff going on, I would walk away just from the financial stuff....