1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contract for One-Time Service?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by espyj, Nov 23, 2010.

1. espyj

espyj Member

I've got a pretty solid contract for seasonal contracts, but does anyone carry a simple, one page contract with them for those people that run out and want you to do their driveways just once? I was figuring I'd have something simple to keep in my trucks that would basically say "owner agrees to pay $xxx for xxx service, owner understands that manager cannot be held liable for damages to turf or hidden objects, etc etc"

The way I see it, I haven't seen the property without snow, I don't know where the edges of your yard are, whats hiding under the snow sitting in the driveway, etc, I can't be expected to be held to the same standards as my seasonal contracts that are staked and documented with pictures. Thoughts?

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

For those jobs I take the magnets off the truck, tell them my name is Fred and is cash only.

Phone number if asked(800) 555-1212
  3. espyj

espyj Member

Awfully hard to take vinyl lettering off of the truck. Plus, majority of my business is by referral. Doesn't seem to be the smart way to do business by making yourself Mr. Anonymous.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

This was not how you framed the question.

If someone is running out to your truck to get a plow job chances are they don't know you from Fred.

If you want the truth I wouldn't stop at all because I don't do driveways and if they asked I would give them such a outrageous price they would think I am insane and never bother me again.
  5. espyj

espyj Member

My question was framed to ask if people were using such a contract. If you don't use something similar and you have nothing constructive to add, please don't respond. My question was framed correctly, the MAJORITY of my business is from referrals, but every once in a while, I do have that person running up after seeing me at a neighbor's house.

I personally do a lot of driveways, so it wouldn't be smart to turn down a potential new customer or the referrals that they may send when they're satisfied with the service I just provided

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Now you want to make rules on who responds?

Sorry but this is the INTERNET. Everyone has something to say when asked.

If I don't use something similar?
    Looks like you do not either. So are you now going to request the thread to be closed because ,by default, you no longer fit into your own fantasy league rules you want to create?

You asked. I gave a response.

You didn't like the response so now you want to get snotty. What are you 12?
  7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

8. SOSSW

SOSSW Junior Member

Please pass the popcorn Toby.
  9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I have this happen 4-5 times per season. I don't have a contract to give, I just require payment right there on the spot. As for unseen objects and property damage, just work those issues out verbally before you begin. Verbal contracts count as well. Keep things simple IMO.

Toby, this is not a thread about Neige.:rolleyes: Very informative post as usual.:alien:
  10. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Who mentioned Neige :confused:

Hugs and Kisses to you to Sid :rolleyes:
  11. espyj

espyj Member

I definitely like to keep things simple, but at the same time, in the litigious state that we live in, it doesn't hurt to have some form of protection so someone can't say "hey, you damaged this."

I've taken my regular contract and pulled out everything that relates to seasonal contract and left in my imdemnifications, waivers, etc. If anyone wants to see it and possibly use it for themselves, let me know and I'm happy to share. Its down to two pages; I'd like to narrow it down more, but I hate to take out too much.
  12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

If it makes you feel better then go for it. It can't hurt. I just haven't seen the need for it in my experiences.
  13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Having a "one time" only contract on hand is a great idea. It will absolve you from liability of property damage that you may do. May not be of real concern, since you will already have direct contact with the HO and he can tell you what's up (if it's not a basic straight driveway.

However, personally I would not provide them with service, or authorize any of our trucks to provide the "walk up" with service until the existing customer base has been serviced. This is frowned upon. Why give priority to this person over your other customers who contracted with you through proper channels....especially if they are pre-paid customers?

The "one time only" guy will most likely never be a potential long term customer to you anyways.

STRONGARM Senior Member

I agree, I ask my crews NOT to stop under any conditions. The chances are it is only a one time thing, they are in a rush or it's a huge amount of snow at the end of their drive. Better off to service your clients properly and give the people that stop you a business card to set up a proper contract.
  15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

if I have time I will do a walk up
    the contract is a neat idea