1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contract Clause - 3 ft and up?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fairland, Nov 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Fairland

Fairland Junior Member
    from Toronto

In light of the recent storm in Buffalo. Do you include a clause that kicks the contract rate into an extra fee for front end loaders or Bobcats to take over the plow work after a certain amount of snow?

I wouldn't know for sure, Im guessing the plow (7ft f250) would have a nearly impossible time or becomes useless after 3 or 4 ft, so heaver equipment would be needed.

Any help with that standard would be appreciated.

2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

We have a clause in our contracts that allows us to go hourly based on the equipment being used after 12 inches in a 24 hour period. Obviously the amount in a 24 hour period would have to be adjusted based upon physical location, but no one has ever had any issue with the way it's worded. The hourly rates are set out in that section of the contract so there can't be any dispute should it be needed.

3. Fairland

Fairland Junior Member
    from Toronto

Thanks for the input.

4. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

I have a feeling contracts will be rewritten for next year in light of recent events.

I know it has made me think and I will be taking a look at mine. Not that I ever expect something like that that happened in Western New York, but 3 or 4' isn't really out of the picture if you live anywhere it snows.

5. cdmckane

cdmckane Member

I put in my contracts that, in the event that equipment other than a pickup truck and snow plow is needed for snow removal, the customer will be billed for the cost of said equipment rental, as well as $XX/hr for the operator.

6. Fairland

Fairland Junior Member
    from Toronto

Could also add - the usually time frame at which we're suppose to be there will be extended 24-50 hours (or unlimited) to get service, even on priority. 4-5 ft +drifting. Last thing I would need in that storm is customers calling to through my own contract promises back at me, and dispute there after would be unbearable after those shifts.

7. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

This is essentially what I did, after learning about all the guys who lost everything down in DC/Baltimore some years ago. 99% of the time our trucks are fine, but I don't wanna lose my business because of 1%.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure how long you've been in the business, but this same thing happened in Buffalo in '01 or '02. I think it was '01, there are a couple threads with pics here on PS. I believe finnegan started at least one.

This is not even close to a once in a lifetime event.

And OP, your truck and 7' plow become ineffective long before the 3' mark.

9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

True.. even 18-24" can overcome a tall v plow or straight plow until you open up enough space for the snow to flow... assuming its heavy enough to compact or fluffy enough to push far away from your pass.

And all the " i have a $6000 v plow" on my dodge/ford/chevy and can punch through anything" ... ok, a company took a push box and took all the snow out one entrance of a shopping complex and stacked a pile "not too tall", only 7-8' tall in the entrance to a site we handled. I got a small running start with a dually 06 F350 diesel, 8'2" boss v plow and 2 yards loaded salt spreader, from about 5-10ish mph, stopped the truck dead... i didn't ever attempt again. We had to bring in our tractor and took over an hour to move the snow out of the way and open the site back up a day later after a 20"+ storm.

Snow plowing starts getting tough when it comes over the plow... the more snow, the less gets pushed where you want it and 20m lots start taking 40, then 2hrs, then its snowing faster than you get finished and it feels like a lost cause.

thats why anything that you can't plow in an hour or less with a truck should have a machine there, especially when you're going to get big storms over 12"

10. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

just curious, if anyone could give an example of what they put in their contracts to make sure this doesnt happen. I honestly don't even know what to put in our contracts to avoid this problem.

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have an hourly machine rate. No one knows why it's there...cept me.

12. Omega

Omega Member

Since our area very rarely sees storm totals over 24" we have a Blizzard/State of Emergency clause that has a rate per person if we are required to go out during such an event to help offset increased time spent doing the same job