1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contemplating from straight to V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LB1234, Oct 17, 2006.

1. LB1234

LB1234 Member

A little background on my company:

We are a very small company with two owner/operators each with truck, plow, snow thrower, and salter. We are heading into our sixth season. We only run about 4 commericial contracts during the season. Then we do various call ins and some residents after cleanups are done on the commercial end. We got into the salting end heavily last year and made a nice profit on that end. Although we can only run bagged salt since its the smaller model (300# capacity). Bit of a pain but a serious money maker during the wintry mix/ice storms.

Anyhow, I was thinking of upgrading to westerns MVP Poly Plus V blade from the 7.5' western straight blade I currently have on the one truck. Problem with the 7.5 is when its fully angled the tires get caught up in the trail...not a major problem just a little annoying. But that isn't the main reason for wanting the upgrade to the V. Two of our commercial accounts have two lane entrances into the parking lots and can only be plowed in one direction. No other exits from the parking lot, turning around is tight, pushing snow across the street is a no-no. So we have to do multiple passes for the first 150-200 in order to get rid of all the trails of snow. I was thinking the V would enable us to eliminate that many more passes.

So some of my first questions are...

(1) Does/will the V seriously shortern cleanup times by elimanting trails?
    (2) How about stacking snow...can you stack snow better with the V in scoop position?
    (3) How about tripping...there are a few nasty manhole covers we encounter. I noticed no shock absorber on the V. More wear tear on the front end (not just from weight standpoint)?
    (4) With that many more hidges and moving parts is maintenance a pain?
    (5) How about efficiency of going from straight to V to scoop. Is that going to take as much time as just placing it in reverse and taking another pass?

Now, with that said...how about a fit to my truck. I have a '04 2500HD Chevy, Short bed, ext. cab, 8.1L gas, Snow-Plow prep package, FAWR is 4800# and GVWR is 9200#. According to the western website I can place the MVP Plus Poly 8.5' blade (UTMVPPY85) onto my truck. They are suggesting 700# ballast and left 300#'s for driver and passengers. Well, after my fat but sits in it I have about 60#'s leftover which is easily the tool box and everything else in the cab with me.

(6) So does anyone recommend/not recommend this plow for my truck?

Also, something I have to consider...I need approximately 15-20 50# bags of salt to get me through a 24 hour period. Thats about 1k#'s of salt. Which means I would need to load about 35 bags of salt per storm. Now I'll assume 1800#'s of salt, 250#'s for me, Another 50#'s for tool boxes, another 100#'s for bed toolbox, another 150#'s for the hitch mounted salter, another 50#'s for the snow thrower, according to website the plow is 847#'s so I'll say its 950#'s. Thats a total of 3250#'s.I can't remember what my dry weight is on my truck. But taking 9200 less 3350 that leaves me 5850 left. I believe my curb weight is right around there. I'm a littel nervous my truck cannot handle that.

So, again, any opinions?

BTW, thanks for reading this post I realize its long winded. :waving:

I would appreciate any comments/suggestion, etc.

Oh ya, another plow other than western is not really an option. I do love my western plows but best of all is my service guy/installer. Saved my arse on a couple of occasions turn around time during a snow storm is top-notch at his place.

2. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

I am not sure about the v plow as we use straight but may buy a v this year, as far as the weight the truck will handle it. might put you a bit overweight per the factory specs but the truck should handle it no problem, we have had more than that on ours.

3. StathemLawncare

StathemLawncare Member

I have a MVP on a 03 2500 duramax and have no problems at all. I cut my route time in half. I just put a few sandbags in back for ballast. I also turned my toqtion bars 3 or 4 turn up.You can stack alot of snow.The only problem with mine is the rubber flap in the middle that wears out before the steel edge does,but they have fixed that now.Ofcourse after i bought mine. Hope this helps

4. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I'm not a V owner myself but hopefully i can answer a couple of your questions.

1).I've found that most guys useing a V will cut time by 25% or more useing the V compared to the typical straight blade.

2).Stacking seems like a dream with the V,small lots it would be ideal as you can push the snow then stack so its a win win for you since its just the 2 of you and no larger equipment.

3).I'd have to leave that to an V owner to give his opinion.

4).The added equipment kinda makes myself nervous as well but i guess if you just simply maintain it to mfg's specs you should be fine,As with any other equipment a typical walk around after every use to seek out any issues that may show up and repair them.

5).Takes little if any time,very fast in my opinion.

6).Myself,I've seen a few 8' 2'' Boss V's on 2500's so a poly V on your truck is probably not a streach,I'd simply ask your dealer on his opinion

Hopefully a few others will chime in and give more detailed opinions and add on to my basic knowledge

Good luck on your decision.

5. LB1234

LB1234 Member

thx for the responses. They are appreciated.

I believe I can do it also. I looked up the curb weight via the internet and I'm around 5890...which is about what I'm at. I'm sure I can shave a bit here in there. If needed I don't need all that much ballast cause I didn't include the spreader as ballast. Whatever.

So my next question...pricing. I have a 2001 7.5' Western Pro Plow with unltra-mount. What do you think I could get for it? I believe I paid around 4300 installed back in '01. The blade has some rusty spots on it...especially were the welds are. Really should be taken down, snad blasted and repainted. Otherwise in great working order. Made sure to change oil after season and then before season I would change again and clean the inlet-screen filter out. Do you think I could get 2k for it? I was hoping to offset the cost of the V...if I still choose to go that route. I'm thinking the poly-V is going to be around 5.5-6k installed. Still giving me about 4k upfront costs...which I really don't want to do unless we get this big bid we put in for an eight block housing community.

Another thought, can I just throw wings on the 7.5 to help with the trailing and save a signifcant amount of money. Or do you think just take the few hundred that's going to cost and lump it into the cost of the V??? Ahhhh, I love being in business for myself. Such decisions.

So, for anyone that has wings, how do you like them? Concerns with hitting curbs or added width? Although my plow is only 7.5 so it would make it any worse than 9 I would think.

thx again for the responses and looking forward to reading some more on this.

-LB

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

just my opinion

7. ipc

ipc Junior Member

If your concerned about running down your wind rows remember this the boss 9.2 v is only 7.4 foot when in full v form. on my 2500hd it leaves me running over my own rows. The 9.2 however relly moves alot of snow. a boss 9.2 steel weighs 928# I know polys weigh more but I don't know the specs on western. The v is the best investment you can make for commercial plowing. I started out like you 2 guys, 2 trucks..... I know have 6 plows and a dedicated salt truck..... Life was much simpler...:dizzy:

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

No doubt the V-plow will save you time...meaning more time to plow more snow. I personally have a Boss 7'6" straight blade w/ Boss wings for a total width of 9'4". The Boss wings were well worth the $$$ in my opinion. They really help with the snow coming off the sides of the plow and curbs...no big deal. My next plow in Fall 2007 will be a V

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We just bought the Fisher Extreme V SS (it gets installed tomorrow) This will be my first year operating one but I've been around them for years and the guys I see using them seem to cut a ton of time down. I ran a Meyers 7.6 with Pro Wings and on some lots I would have to keep going over the same pass to try and collect the little wind rows, but the guys with V's cleaned them up in one pass. I liked the Fisher because if the trip edge design.

10. LB1234

LB1234 Member

Thx again for the thoughts and opinions.

I'm really not woried about leaving trails when in the scoop formation. I can push it far enough at an angle so as not to have the trails that bad. I really want the scoop position for the final few passes not the initial.

I'm still a little worried about not having a shock absorber. I've hit a few things that have nearly given my a heart attack. Can only imagine what would happen if the shock wasn't working...:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

As for other products/brands, I just really don't want to leave Western...not so much Western but really the dealer. He has helped me out in the past. I hate to jump ship on a different brand even though it may be a better product but what happens when something breaks and I need it fixed in a middle of a snow storm no questions asked...to me that is what really counts not so much of the added features.

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well dealer support is important but you have to go with a plow that you feel comfortable with and a plow that will make your life easier and possibly save time as well. As far as bone jaring hits, thats why I said I went with the Fisher Extreme V. I beleive they are the only V blade with a TRIP EDGE (I could be wrong). So yeah when you hit something in a V or scoop position with a plow thats not a trip edge design, outch! either your plow or truck will take all of that hit and over time one of the two will eventually break.

12. StathemLawncare

StathemLawncare Member

[The Western MVP and Fisher extreme V are the same plow. The edge trip design is on both.On my MVP when the edge trips you hardly know it.It doesnt jar the truck to bad like moldboard trip plows.

13. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

ill be the blizzard guy here,. for your truck you could go with a nice speed wing and forget about the extra parts and the pork chop control with all the buttons. the speed wing angles a wing every time you turn it it will save you 30 - 40 percent of your time and you gan get a true 8' so your tires will not be in the track, the weight is less of a full v or a power plow. you can pin the wings if you want em straight.

jeff

14. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

Okay guys, time for me to chime in my two cents. Been plowing for almost 13 yrs now. Started out with Western straight blades. Friend of mine yrs back bought a Boss Power-V. He plowed for meand watching him pllow and clean up was incredible. The time savings because of the V was incredible. Next truck I bought after that went to a V. At that time I dind't like the Western V so I switched to Boss. Everything after that went to Boss Vees as well. Last year I saw The new Western MVP at a show and Western got my loyalty back for a number of reasons. If you want to know why just ask and I will get into it. My new truck last year and this year both have the new MVP.

I run multiple large commercial accounts varying from 1 to 15 acres roughly. The V has cut our plowing time down considerably. I would guess on average 30-40% more effiecent on some of the lots. One of the best things, in a lot that is parked full of cars and you need to clean the drive lane, know how you chase from side to side trying to clear it with a straight blade, not with a V. Angle each side to the center and then come through with the scoop. If your lucky 3 passes sometimes 1 or 2 more depending on amount of snow. Scoop also works great to move large quantities when you are windrowing and need to clear it out.

The MVP trip edge is great. Hardly notice it trips. When it does only trips one side instead of the whole blade. The Boss you will notice it. I've had the whoile truck jump with the Boss. The whole blade moves, no shock, springs.

Controls are fast and efficient. Much faster than making another pass. The new MVP Plus has been redesigned to be even faster. The MVP will also work as a straight blade, meaning you dont need to move each wing indepentantly.

No more maintainance than a normal blade.

I would highly recommend one, especially for commercial plowing. I will never go back to a straight blade unless on a big truck, 10' or 11' blade.

Good Luck

15. LB1234

LB1234 Member

Great post. Answers a lot of my questions. It seems as if the Western MVP does trip but the trip back up isn't that bad even know there is no shock installed? Am I correct in the assumption?

And yes, I'd be interested in hearing how Western got your business back.

I'll try and post some pictures of the lots we take care of...I'm almost wondering if they are too tight for the V. Seems as if they won't. We have a similar situation were there are cars to the right and left of us (in the parking lots) and the snow can only be pushed north to south not south to north. We can't ven angle it to the side or we will just be blocking in the residents cars. AND....when they dig themselves out it gets throw right back into what we just cleared.

Its one direction only. Seems as if I can get by 2/3 passes in the scoop position instead of forward and reverse and about 6/7 passes with the straight in order to clear up the trails.

thx,
    LB