1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contemplating a SIMA membership...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fiveoboy01, Feb 17, 2011.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

Those of you who have it, do you find their tools and resources useful? Do you think it was money well spent? I don't think it's expensive but I don't want to throw money away either. I did a search and the general concensus seems positive but I'd like a little more feedback.

2. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I'm interested in the eventual accreditation. I am just waiting until I can satisfy the minimum qualifications for being considered for the task. Beyond that there's no way it would be of any benefit to me. I don't have a second to give it the time that would be required to benefit.
  3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I have found it to be a huge asset. Heck even just being able to use the logo and brag on your website is a marketable value to your company, not even including the sweet production tools and tons of information.
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The amount of networking that I've gained from becoming a member is invaluable. I don't always agree with their policies (particularly their stance on NSPs) but I look at it from a standpoint of where I have everything to gain and nothing to lose by being a member.
  5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Roy, be serious, we were networked before joining SIMA. :drinkup::drinkup:
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think you could be correct. LOL
  7. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i have had nada/zip/zero exposure, experience with SIMA other than what i've read on forums...and particularly on this one, it would appear to me there are some "ties" to nationals...that in itself sours me. i'm elated that it works out for those that find it a benefit.
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going to agree with you but I will say if you came to a symposium and experienced it with an open mind I know you'd become a member. :drinkup:
  9. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

well JDDave...i've watched your posts...and always respected the thought/input you have...and i'm sure if you've read any of my posts on nationals, they ain't been purdy. were i a SIMA member...and i've seen a SIMA rep post on here before...i can tell you of 2 members of this forum that have issues...why doesn't SIMA tell their national member...hey, your contractor's insurance company paid the slip and fall claim in full....why are you back charging them $4500 per occurance to handle the passing of the claim from the store, to you, to their insurance company? they hit me up once...$4500....the other member of this forum, they clipped him for $22k...our insurance company paid ALL of these people's bills...now, my question is...were i a SIMA member...would they dig the other member to do the "right thing"...and pay me?

and i just gotta add this...it's sticking in my craw after a couple of crown royals here....i hear the phrase here "i'm a professional" used frequently here.. what makes somebody pushing snow professional? i've done it for over 30 yrs. now...am i a pro?
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  10. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I did become a member and go to the symposium..... I didn't renew my membership this year. Dave, no disrespect intended as I know your a avid supporter of sima. Like everything else, some will love it and some won't. To each his own.
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm from Canada we don't even have a national service provider as of yet. I'm not exactly sure if I feel it's Sima's place to step in or not, I'm going to plead the 5th. As far as I'm concerned isn't all this stuff in the contract you signed? Not trying to start anything but to me Sima is about relationships and that's what I've gained from it
    I totally agree with you. I will also add that I when at the symposium I only attended 1 class. I really liked the snack and chats but where you learned the most was at the bar. I had so much fun in Ky that I still think about untill this day. I couldn't make it last year because of farm work and I was greatly disappointed. To me the membership is cheap for what I get, others may disagree. To each his own like you said.
  12. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I also respect the views of you guys that Push membership into SIMA.

But for me I think it is still a waste of money, this site is more valuable as it is free.

My views might change in the future. But right now still not worth it.
  13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Ya know what they say about "free" advice.... You have to weed through ALOT of BS on this site to get the correct info but it IS out there......
  14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

JD spends that much on me for chicken wings to learn about snowplowing. So for the cost and attending the trade shows you would learn almost as much from everyone else.
  15. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

i dont get how they expect ppl 2 fly 2 WI 2 take a test that they made up 2 be pro snowplower
  16. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I've been a SIMA member for about two years now and feel you can learn just as much from this site and it's free. Now I've never been able to attend a symposium, I just don't have the free time from plowing snow for four month's for my self and operating heavy equipment for a construction company nine months of the year.

I have taken part in a webinar, but again a lot of what I learned from that has been discussed on this site.
  17. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

to be a "professional"...in SIMA's eyes? you have to take a test in wisconsin? man, what a batch of snake oil they're selling. so, for what you're saying, and what i assume...is you can have a polaris 4 wheeler...with a blade on the front, go to wisconsin, take this test...and be a "professional"?? SIMA has no other requirements to being a professional...other than going and taking their test?
  18. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

and i add...who the fuggggg is SIMA to tell anybody whether they're a professional or not? maybe i'm reading a lot into these posts...but from what i read, it's my understanding that SIMA will make you one
  19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No one ever said that taking the test will make you a professional, just like no one said going to college or university will make you smart. Knowledge is wealth and if that's what you choose to do the power to you. I have the CSP books and I can tell you I don't know have the info in those books. I need to get my but in gear and start studying so I can take the test. I could careless what anyone thinks it's a personal goal of mine to do it. I pay to go to farm seminars and most times I don't learn much but the odd time you really learn something that you apply to your business and it pays for all of the seminars for life. Sima is fun to me, it's a reason to get away and meet people with similiar interests. I talk regulary with people I've met there and can talk to them about pricing and such that I can't do with anyone around here or on the internet. The more I think about it Sima is priceless and I can write it off. It doesn't get better then that.
  20. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

We've been SIMA members for going on 9 years, and I've been a CSP for 8. We're a small company in a semi-rural area. We joined SIMA for the educational and networking opportunities. I sat for the CSP exam as a personal and professional challenge to myself, and yes, I am proud of my certification. It was an important milestone for me, and I did it for myself, not to impress other people. Oh,and you don't have to go to WI to take the test. That just happens to be where it was that time. It's offered at various times and places during the year.

We've been to four symposiums. It doesn't work for us to go every year, but when we have gone, we've enjoyed it. We've made friends with whom we have stayed close over the years. The educational opportunities aren't necessarily mind-blowing, "OMG I never knew that!" but there are always new things to learn or at least different ways of doing things to consider. The trade show is also nice, to get a hands-on look at different plows and other snow equipment, that we don't have an opportunity to see other than in videos or print ads.

For us, the membership fee is worth spending. As far as issues about the membership, SIMA is not a police organization. It's kind of like the Chamber of Commerce. Just being a member does not guarantee that a company is professional or ethical. But it does provide marketing and networking opportunities that can be of value. Some businesses see the value and join, others decide it's not for them.

I suggest trying it for a year. If you find that you benefit from it, great. If not, don't renew your membership.