1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Contemplating a bad bad move....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2moresleeps, Apr 5, 2009.

1. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

I dropped a load of branches off at our site, while driving, I took the a detour on our property and have been stuck in a foot of mud for 4 days. I was going to wait until next weekend to pull it our but no such luck.

I have 6 gas stations that ALL promised me their business in the spring. Well, spring came early, really really early and not ONE has signed up with me (which is fine and good with me) but we are expecting 15cm of snow tomorrow.

I know I will get blasted for this but since they will never call me again, nor will I ever plow another station...................should I be overly concerned?
    I understand the slip and fall issue but other than thaat im good???
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are you talking plowing for this season or 09-10?
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

What are we talking about?
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I assume you know what you're talking about. Since you mentioned liability, there are two questions:

1. Have you been plowing these places this winter?

2. Do you have a contract with them?
  5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What is the end date of your snowplow service? Maybe they just haven't sent their contract back to you yet...... I try not to burn bridges w customers. Also, they might tell other people you did a crappy job....
  6. 2moresleeps

from Ontario

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

My contract ended with 3 and the other 3 on the 15th. These stations have already told me they went with a cheaper co. and no longer require my service. I explained that our time is money and I charge more due to not servicing a zillion properties which allows us to provide better, more detailed service and yet NOTHING.

I just don't have the heart to plow them and the 3 that ends on the 15th, I could care less about. I would NEVER run into these customers on the street and no one else will take them on.

While typing I have decided to not plow them unless they call and 2 of the customers have refused to pay their monthly salt bill.

I figure oh well, life is short.
  7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

First get your truck un-stuck, thats your first priority. Your contract with 3 of them is up, don't worry about. 2 are in default (non-payment for salt), don't worry about them. The other one plow if you absoutly have to. We all live & learn, you have to find the customers that best suit your business plan. But most importanly, they have to be customers that pay there bills, on time is good, early is even better.
  8. 2moresleeps

from Ontario

Day 2 and hopefully final day of plowing, and NOT ONE CALL! Looks like I am in the clear now.
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You should be fine...till next year.