1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Constant Velocity Joint

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by EaTmYtAiLpIpEs, Feb 16, 2008.

1. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Does anyone know where I can get a constant velocity joint for a 2003 ford f-250. I dont want to get it from ford because it is almost $300. I called a place where I get stuff for dealer price and they cant get one all they can get is a rebuild kit and it isnt even the right one.

2. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

If it was me Id spend the extra few bucks and buy the ford unit. When it come to anything like that Im a firm believer in using factory part, theres cheap aftermarket stuff out there but when you think about it do you want China handling propulsion? JMO

3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya thats true lol. good point there bud lol.

4. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

we go to a place called Powertrain for all of our stuff like that. Its here in Indiana, but I'm sure you guys would have something like it up there. If you talk to a couple of mechanic shops and ask where they get their driveshafts redone and rear ends you might be able to find something.

5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

alright brothanks a lot i know a place now that i think about it.

6. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I just had the pass side cv joint replaced about $300 installed. New dust sheild for the axle end and all with Ford parts.

7. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Where do you guys have CV joints at?

8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Usually on the driveshaft also known as double cardan joints basically two u-joints stuck together with a carrier in between.

9. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Yea there double cardian joints, not cv! I also hear guys calling the axle u-joints cv's... silly rookies!:dizzy:

10. snowman2025

on the driveshaft that goes from the transfer case to the front axle they are called Constant Velecity Joint. There is something fancy about them. Not exactly sure what but there is a Ball of some sort in there.

I'm slight inebriated...sorry if it doesn't make sense

11. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

12. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

:drinkup::drinkup:no snow in the near future I guess lol
    Yeah my 01 F150 7700 is a strange beast. It has cv's but a heavier duty suspension.

13. snowman2025

yea...the last 3 snows they said were coming they predicted 6 - 12 inches and we ended up getting a whopping dusting......so not much hope held out for the future here.

So anyway, I know on my dads 99 F-550 the front driveshaft was a constant velocity joint, not a regular u-joint

14. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Hey snowman2025 it isnt a cv joint,alot of people call them that but there not.Its just eaiser than calling them by there real name.

We just got the whole front drive shaft for your dads 550 from ford.
    If I remember right it wasnt to bad of a deal to just buy the whole shaft insted of just the joints.

:D:drinkup:

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try a medium duty truck parts place. Most carry the drive train parts or can get them for about 2/3's of what a dealer would charge.

16. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

how long does it normally take top have a custom one made???? I am seriously thinking about having them do one for me.

17. snowman2025

So it was just a double cardigan joint, my bad.

18. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Do you have a fleet pride in IN?

19. snowman2025

havent heard of them

20. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Eatm they have lots of stuff on the self just give them a call