1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

considering xvf95

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by pipelayer, Dec 3, 2014.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

im condsidering buying an xvf95 snowdogg plow. for everything less the install the dealer quoted me 5500. ill be comparing this to getting a fisher xv2, which I used to install, for 5125, plus the controller so itll be exactly the same, i already have a fisher mount, and 2 fisher plows that are 3 plug, and i usually keep stuff uniform. i know fishers inside and out, but i know the xv2 the canister is tough to remove to service the plow, but that's the only gripe i have. how do these snowdoggs stack up? ive never seen one up close, or the controller, how fast are they? id like to check into these further, how are they durability wise, itll be on an f550 and doing a lot of commercial plowing, so it has to stand up and work reliably. also, how tough is the install, i know Mossman had something going on with his wiring, but im just curious before i go and spend upwards of 6k. these are the closest to a fisher i believe, as far as mounting and trip goes, even the chain lift system. outside of being a DD company this seems as close as it can get. id just like to know more bout these and see some cool pictures of everyones badass stainless plows

2. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

If you can install a fisher you can easily install the snowdogg. I only installed and repaired Meyer plows...I did my own install on my Vxf 8.5 the mount and installing wiring was easier with some problems with the plow light housing wires..if you decide to go with snowdogg any tech problems you might have call Jeff at snowdogg tech support he helped me out a lot....I installed mine on a dodge which is the hardest to install because of the dodge reverse wiring. Also I had to custom lower my plow due to the height of my truck...I don't know how it will hold up this will be my first season using it

3. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I just sold my 95VXF and bought a Boss DXT. The Snow Dogg did everything I asked of it last season. The things that I didn't care for was only one operation per button vice having a vee button, scoop button etc. To me it was harder to mount then my minute mount 1 (and that was a pain). The connectors where corroding due to water intrusion. The final straw was waiting 8 months for warranty work to be completed. I would recommend if you currently have Fishers and you like them and the price point between the 2 plows is close I would go with the Fisher.

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I've had no problems with my VX95. I bought it in fall 2011 prior to that I ran all Fisher. In that time all of my friend who have purchased new fishers have had multiple problems from leaking cylinders, major hydraulic headaches (including a XV2 last season that has since been sold and is giving the new owner the same issues after the entire hydraulic pack was replaced) along with other quality control problems.

That said, no plow is perfect and others have certainly had problems with their Snowdoggs, sometimes I feel lucky. I don't agree about the mounting, I've had plenty of MM1s and they were much more difficult than my VX to mount but not as easy as a MM2.

But if I were in your shoes, I'd go with a XV2. They are faster, they are finally built better than before, and you already have others to use as a backup. You didn't mention if the XV2 was stainless but either way your price is good. My only concern with Fishers is the recent lack of quality control- and they are built in my backyard (not literally but Rockland is about an hour and a half from me).
    Best of luck with your decision

5. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

yes the fisher is stainless, and the fact that i have independent control with each wings at the touch of a button is a deciding factor, also, does the snowdogg have double acting cylinders like the fisher? these prices are so close in comparison its really going to come down to my preference, it will be my first v plow, and i like the fact that i can use my stuff as a backup, i like the independent control of each wing also. 5500 for the snowdogg complete, 5100 for the fisher blade, another 375 for the fleetflex control, and the mount i have. so its going to come down to preference. and my fisher dealer is a town away, and i used to work there. i think ive made my choice here. nothing outstanding about the snowdoggs to make me sway diferently i guess.

6. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Member

Snowdogg has double acting cylinders. I have a 8'6" on loan because part of the assembly of the xp810 that I was going to buy hasn't come in yet. My dealer gave me an 8'6" to use until they came in but I loved it so much that I'm going with a 9'6" instead.

The snowdogg has independant control of each wing and also can act like a straight blade where the left and right will go together (left goes in, right goes out AND left goes out, right goes in at the same time).

You are being quoted on the high side for one. My dealer is selling me a 9'6" for $5,000 cash installed with everything included. I'm going with the rubber snow deflector instead of the hard plastic as well for that price.

I believe it was $350 less if it was cash and carry but $350 is worth them installing it for me.

7. hayisforhorses

hayisforhorses Junior Member
    from canada

your a little ways away from mishauds in winslow maine but they have a snowdogg xp810 on clearance for 3800 I bet they will install for same price. It is a great parking lot plow, local company has them and use them in parking lots. I have one for personal use needed a big plow to cover width of a cab chassis and they were the best price on anything that would fit.

8. plowguy43

A few differences about the plows:
    -Snowdogg includes deflectors for free
    -Snowdogg has a 2" lift cylinder, Fishers is smaller (I believe 1 1/2" still)
    -My personal opinion after viewing both is the snowdogg is built better, using thicker steel throughout.
    -Snowdogg is simpler in regards to the wiring and controls- relay box versus Fishers computer board style electronics.
    -Snowdoggs trip springs are adjustable and easy to replace, Fishers are not.
    -Snowdogg offers stainless wings that extend the width nearly 2' with a slight angle forward to help scoop- Fishers aren't stainless, they offer very little additional width because they scoop forward at an aggressive angle.
    -The controls are simple, I put the controller on my lap and can put in scoop or V with 1 hand/index and middle finger.

The parts about the build and lift cylinders are obviously arguable in regards to which is better but that is purely my non engineering background opinion.

9. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

yeah thats the stuff that it really comes down to. im not blindly brand loyal by any stretch of the imagination, ive had 12 trucks, all different makes. ford, chevy, dodge, gmc, every one. i think this is the route i will go, if i decide to put a V plow on my f350, ill go fisher, the mounts are already there, and it had a meyer prior to that so i dont want to swiss cheese the frame any more. if i add another truck to my fleet, ill put a snowdogg plow on it. ive been looking into their products even the more, and they are definitely something worth buying, not only at a good value but a durability standpoint. i also think ill be buying one of their stainless spreaders as well. i cant tell you how many poly casters i fixed in a 3 month period last winter. just had a buddy take off a spinner bearing on one that was 1/2 a season old. anyone have any pictures of their snowdogg plows? the back side preferably, so i can see the supports and trip mechanism. thanks

10. plowguy43

I have some, I'll jump on my laptop in a bit and upload them. Granted I have a VX not VXF but they are close to the same with extra for the flared wings on the VXF

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  11. plowguy43

Also, I think you are making the right decision. Without a doubt the XV2 is definitely faster going into scoop or Vee mode. They also stack higher/have more up travel than the VX. I'm with you, not brand biased but just like a good deal for my money. Anyways, Here are some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

yeah these plows seem like a killer bang for the buck, like I said if I put another blade on with the fisher feet im gonna stay fisher, if I buy another truck, a snowdogg will be on the front. I definitely have to look into them a little more, but 5500 for everything is awesome.

13. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

wheres that, because if its cheaper cash and carry ill buy it out of state, if I went with the fisher, I would be going into new Hampshire anyway.

14. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

I got my vxf85 for 5200.00 installed in Hemitage Pa. M&R Power Equipment. As far a cylinder speed, I wouldn`t mind being able to slow it down a bit. Very fast,comes back and really jolts the truck. It was metal on metal.I took some 1/2 rubber and attached to the stops which helps some,but still jolts the truck pretty hard. Don`t think it hurts anything,but sounds harsh.

15. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

16. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Member

sorry for the late reply, Candia trailer and snow equipment in Candia New Hampshire. $5,200 installed, $4,850 not installed. If you pay cash, you can get them to knock off $150-$200.. that is for the vxf95. The vxf85 is $200 less

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  17. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

i called them earlier in the season about a sander, not to redirect this thread but isnt it buyers that makes a sander with a conveyor that fits in a dump insert?

18. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Member

Hopefully someone else knows. I know nothing about their sanders.