1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Considering Plowing my Own Lot and possibly subbing, Advice?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by abohr, Dec 16, 2013.

1. abohr

abohr Junior Member

New to the forum, Ive been reading posts for a while since I have been researching for a new plow.

I own a small business (daycare) and we are open 24/7. The state widened the road and now there is one hell of a hill at the opening of my lot. Anyways the snow has been getting worse and it is like pulling teeth trying to get someone that can be at my lot enough to have it clear so my parents can get out. I find myself using my little snow blower for hours on end just doing the hill so my parents can leave. Also, as many of you know, snow removal is expensive and I need it done several times a day.

So here is where I'm at, I have a 2007 chevy 2500 HD and I'm thinking about putting a plow on it so I can do my own lot. As with anything, usually when you buy something cheap, you end up upgrading. So I think I would like a decent plow to start off with. I also am considering asking the guy that currently does my lot if he would like to sub a few of his jobs out because I know he doesn't have the time to keep up. I have not plowed before, but I do have experience with heavy machinery in construction so I should not have too much trouble figuring it out.

So here is my question (probably the first of many): What size and type of blade do you think would best suit my needs. From talking to local dealers, I think an 8' straight blade will probably do it, but you guys are the experts and if you think a V or winged plow is better (or I'm going to want to upgrade soon) let me know.

Also, I have been looking at Boss, Western, Fisher, and Meyer. Any suggestions on brand? I kind of like the Western pro plus right now, and the local guy said $5650 installed. Also Looked at the Boss Power VXT for $6000 installed they had a 8' straight blade sport boss also for $4800.

I know this is alot of information and I'm not the best writer in the world, so thank you to anyone who takes the time to sift through this **** and help me out.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Just my .02

If you're only doing your own lot, find a used plow. Anything from 7'6" to 8'6" will do the trick. Don't waste money on new, or Vee / Expandable.

If you're going to sub, I would NOT ask the guy who currently doesn't show up enough that you're considering buying a plow. He's doing it wrong, and you'll only learn bad habits.

3. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Short on time but; I'd add a plow and do it myself if I were you. Had a local dentist with a similar problem. He decided to buy a plow truck so he could clear as needed or after the city refilled the entry ways. problem solved.
    Skip the subbing, you run a daycare.
    Plow choice: the boss v you'll love it

4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Boss v but i agree, buy used. Have a dealer install the truck side thrn buy a good quality used blade on craigslist

5. abohr

abohr Junior Member

Used seems to be the answer, any ideas on a fair price? Also what would a good price installed be? I'll look around if I find something Ill ask you guys. Any recommendations on how old? I feel like a 10 year old plow is going to give me trouble.

6. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Step 1 check with your business insurance agent. Will you be covered, what happens if you back into a parents car that snuck up behind you? As well as any other claims (justified or not). Would hate to see your main source of income jeopardized because you're trying to make up for a contractor that can't meet your needs.

7. abohr

abohr Junior Member

I will definitely talk to the insurance company. Thanks for the heads up.

8. abohr

abohr Junior Member

If i seriously consider pursuing anything more than my own lot, I think I would inc. under a new company just to be safe as well.

9. abohr

abohr Junior Member

What are the differences between poly and steel? What would you guys recommend?

10. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Weight. More weight better backdrag capability but harder on truck. Poly less weight less backdrag capability but also easier on front end. If you're not traveling with plow hooked up weight is less of a concern with regards to front end wear/stress.

11. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Go to the various manufacturer websites they all have some type of selector tool that will tell you what is recommended for your truck. Does your truck have plow package and/or tow package and/or aux transmission cooler?

12. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I got my boss v 9' for $2800 a few years old but mint condition.

13. abohr

abohr Junior Member

Truck has plow Package, Tow Package, not sure if it has a trans cooler... I bought it used, how would i tell if it does?

14. abohr

abohr Junior Member

15. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

If it has tow and plow packages I'd say it does (not being a Chevy guy). To determine for sure you'd need to look for the radiator aka cooler with lines to/from transmission. 3/4 ton pickup with plow package you could hang just about anything you wanted off the front end.

Whatever brand you go with make sure you have local dealer support. Good idea to pick up spare parts too since you can't really afford down time being open 24/7.

16. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Two big red flags for me (aside from all caps, grammar and spelling) price seems almost too good and part where the plow was "cut" off the truck. Wth is up with that?

17. abohr

abohr Junior Member

HAHAHAHAHA! I'm literally laughing out loud right now, you hit that on the head. I think Ill pass on this listing.

18. abohr

abohr Junior Member

Any experience with Snow Dogg? They also have a local dealer.

19. abohr

abohr Junior Member

20. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I've only run Boss. No complaints with the product. Wish I could say the same about the dealers. I'm almost dreading when the time comes to buy a new truck. I will be forced to either do the install myself or go with another brand and hope for better results.

If your local dealers are big enough try to get a demo of hookup and removal, unless you are able to leave plow hooked up long term. No fun fighting a plow to hook up. That problem went away once I got my driveway paved but was a royal PIA prior to that due to uneven ground.

Another potential consideration is how much does front of your truck fascia need to be cut up for the install. For some cosmetics is a big concern.