1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Considering Midweight plow - feedback from owners

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Snowzilla, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have been considering the Western Midweight plow. I'm interested in some feedback from owners of this plow. Likes or dislikes this plow? I like the Ultramount system & like the idea of less weight on my truck.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Truck details

3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Sure..2009 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0. 285's tires.. Torsions cranked a little. It does have the plow package. I know this may seem like a small plow for it. But I would be just plowing 2 farmsteads with. I just got this truck and still have my Hiniker 7.5 and am not sure I want have that bracket on the truck all year. I kinda like the ground clearance. I think prevous owner ran an 8.5 mvp on this truck. I could of bought but was afraid of hanging that much weight on it.

P1010224 (Large).jpg

P1010256 (Large).jpg

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

an 8.5 aint to much weight look at westerns website and do the truck match,,,

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I have a mid in my garage that l just repaired. Its 4 years old and used to plow our shop. Its great shape for plowing our ragged out parking lot. This plow is on a dodge Dakota it weights about 500lbs, I can move around easily.

The repair was to the rustsd pivots from lack of maintenance. Western has improved this part now with grease fitting.

You may want to look at the pro in 8ft, 7 6 is small for a full size truck. It only a hundred or so heavier than the Mid. Your truck can handle a wide out if you wanted.

6. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I have one since 07 and not one issue with it very reliable and easy on your truck

7. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Thanks. Maybe I am being too conservative (coming from a 1/2 ton plow experience) After measuring the outside tire width, it is near 80", so you're right a 7.5' at full angle is less than the path. But I guess you don't have to use full angle. Previous plow truck with the Hiniker 7.5' was a 1/2 ton & I felt like it was awful heavy for it.

I have read on this site where some Chevy's developing cracking frames, etc. so I thought I would be conservative.

Snoway63, what kind of truck do you have the Midweight on?

8. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I have on a 05 f350 v10 Lariat, the only reason i run this is my previous truck was a f150 and the plow is in mint condition and if i try to sell it you wont get what its worth so figure I'll run it in the ground then get a wide out but overall not one issue with it and as far as your tires being in the snow its not a problem and i have wide tires on my truck and have no problems at all even at full angle

9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the midweight replaced the old standard blade. I wouldn't be afraid to use it in your situation at all, even if the truck can handle a heavier plow.

10. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Since snow shows are optional on the midweight (I use them on gravel).. Would the weight difference between Midweight w/shoes verse Pro plow be less than the specs. Since it appears Pro includes them?