1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Considering getting into the business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by WSBuilder, Feb 7, 2006.

1. WSBuilder

WSBuilder Junior Member

Hello - This is my first post on this site. I'm considering getting into the business and wanted to get some opinions. I have a 2003 F250 SuperCab with a 6.0 Diesel. On the Fisher web site, it says that this truck will only handle a 7.5 Regular Duty plow. Has anyone beefed up their front springs to handle an 8 or 8.5?
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

3. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

4. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Yep--2.5 skyjacker kit--Truck sits nice and level!--Run an 8'm/m hd--cant hardly tell it's on there!
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

This truck will handle an 8', I have seen as big as 9' on those trucks. You may need to add Timbrens (google them) or as douglasl330 recomended the skyjacker kit. Look into both, you can also look into getting airbags for the front end. From what I have seen, they dont sag too bad even with a stock front end.

I would not let fords or fishers recommendation preclude me from putting a plow bigger then a 7'6" on that truck. At least not in this case.
  6. WSBuilder

WSBuilder Junior Member

Thanks to all for the input. It is greatly appreciated. Do you think it's worth it to add leaf springs to bring the front end up to 6000 GAWR?
  7. douglasl330

Hey set up a time, I'll let you look at my 2000 350 S/C with a 7.3 psd-- I ran into the same thing--It's do to the wieght of the engine, then hanging a plow off the front is why Fisher is recomending the shorter blade. The truck will handle a 9 and most people will tell you they wish they had a 9. I run an 8' it does what I need it to do! If you go with the spring kit--and you got little ones climbing in the truck I would also recommend running boards!:redbounce
  8. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

I have a F350 Superduty with the 7.3. My front end is leaf springs, and I added the leveling kit (more leaf springs) and carry a Meyer Husky C8.5 with no problems. I would not want to plow with anything smaller!

Good luck!
  9. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Your Superduty will easily handle a bigger plow than the 7.5. The manufacturer will usually aim low with their recommendations.

But in the real world of plowing, you can definately put a bigger plow on there. I would also recommend using some sort of Timbrens or leveling kit.

That way, you have the piece of mind that is PRICELESS when plowing at
    2:30 a.m. out in the middle of nowhere.

You've got a great truck, it's a good idea to start using it to make some money!
  10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

With 7.3 we have a western 8ft pro
  11. WSBuilder

WSBuilder Junior Member

Thanks to all for the info. douglasl330 thanks for the offer to look at your truck. You must be happy with all the snow this weekend! As for me, my truck is going in the shop today, so I'll get back to you when it's out. Thanks again.
  12. douglasl330

The truck will be at the center fire station on Sat. all day. If you want to swing by! With the added hieght of the springs and if you have kids, I highly suggest get a set of running boards.
  13. WSBuilder

WSBuilder Junior Member

Hey douglasl330 - I stopped by the station today around 2:30. I went inside but it seemed like nobody was there. Maybe you guys were out on a call. Anyway, I saw your truck in the back. I didn't take a real good look at it though (didn't want people to think I was up to something). And, I think we may have a mutual friend on the TFD. Don't want to mention any names in this forum, but I'll give you a hint - I coach youth wrestling in town...

Also, you make a good point about the running boards. Fortunately, when I bought the truck, the runnings boards were already installed.
  14. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Thats a good truck , have you had any trouble with the 6.0 i had to put a chip in mine to gain low end power. I have 80000 on mine running a boss v plow and just put ball joints on. Yes put some extra pieces in the front springs, this will take a lot of wear off of the front end and pay dividends. You will not have any trouble with a 8.5 plow. The 7.5 are fine but average one meyer sells is not really that heavy unless you get the c series. Most dealers dont like to stock them because they are more expensive and put there price up with others. The reason im saying heavier you need down force and the lighter blades will slip a lot. As far as what brand, by red. I ran meyer for yearsdid the maintance as good as anyone else and they will not hold up under long commercial plowings. I own all boss now no problems i plow snow instead of working on plows. Western is also good i watch a lot of guys in my area using them hard and not breaking down. Good luck