1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Considering becoming Owner/Operator

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Diesel Dan, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Howdy, I'm Dan. I'm from mid-Michigan. I am considering buying a plow and subbing for a snow/salt/sweeper that lives down the road from me. I have tons of experience running heavy equipment, and two seasons running a 8'2" V plow (for wages), just filling in here and there when it really came down and somebody needed help.

So I know how to be fast and efficient, and I'm looking into putting an 8'2" boss on my 2500hd.

What kind of money should I ask for as an O/o in order to turn a profit, while accounting for the wear on the truck ie ball joints, steering gear, wheel bearings, etc. associated with plowing?

Thanks in advance! here's to hoping it actually snows this winter and we all get paid!
  2. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

I am not sure what the rates are by you but 2 things to consider.. do you have the proper insurance and are you sure you are going to be paid in a timely manner

sometimes it is better to work for less and get paid quicker than waiting 30 or more days to get paid

ie: i can promise to pay you $100.00 an hour but what good is that if you don't get paid till june

welcome to plowsite
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Profits,what is that? As a owner/operator,you don't get paid for both. Also depends on what type of accounts your looking to get,Are you going to charge per plow or seasonal or have both.
  4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure what people pay up there but I know a lot of guys here get $55/hr or better
  5. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

There is a lot more that goes into it then wear and tear and parts. Just remember that you will have insurance. Not just auto insurance, but general liability, workmans comp and an umbrella. And then you need to make sure your insurance limits are high enough for the job or jobs you are bidding. If not, you will have to up your amounts and that will cost more $$$. Lots of time in billing and paperwork. You are not goi ng to be getting paid by the hour now, so call backs and or meeting with customers/clients will be on your time.

Just remember that no one can tell you how much to charge in order to turn a profit. Everyone is different. Everyone has different amounts of overhead and costs in their business. You need to dig into everything and see what you need to cover ALL of your costs and time, then add your profit. Its not an easy thing to figure out.
  6. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

75-85 /hour
  7. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

70-80 a hr I would think.
  8. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

I am from mid Michigan too

My email is crlawndist@gmail.com send me your number I have a great deal on a 1 year old plow !!! (boss)

Also have new ones too
  9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

I'd be working for a his business, so I'd be covered under his insurance right? With the exception of my auto coverage of course.

This guy basically needs more plow on the ground, so he can salt more lots. He will be managing everything, I just have to wake up and plow. I imagine he'll pay a set amount per plow for each lot, roughly dependent on how long it should take a competent truck operator to clear.
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'll say it again,his insurance is to protect him not you. You need your own insurance.
  11. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Ok man. Just making sure we're on the same page, didn't know if his businesses liability policy would cover his subs. Y'all know more about the business than I do that's why I'm asking.

12. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

13. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Well are u being paid as a "sub contractor" or you an employee in his payroll? If i hired you in the same way he is, i would require you to have full insurance. Remember, insurance is there for when there is a problem. Nobody thinks they need it until its too late. If there is a claim, insurance companies will go after everyone connected to the job. They will pull anyone with any money into a lawsuit and make you fight them to get out of it.