1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Considering an HTS

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sabres07, Feb 26, 2011.

1. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I am considering selling/ trading my 11 year old 7' 6" Boss plow in order to get a lighter Western HTS. I only do my own driveway, I do not do any plowing for others. I just got a new Chevy 1/2 ton and I think that Boss is too much at over 600 lbs. Does anyone have a review of the HTS???? It weighs in at something like 412 lbs.
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

it would be perfect for your application. they are a nice little plow.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The HTS is ideal for someone like you, doing your own drive. The only beef I have with it is the single leg. Can be a bit hard to get mounted sometimes. It uses the same ultra-mount as the bigger plows and the two cable electrical hookup will actually run the MVP Plus an the Wide-out, not that they are recommended for the half ton.... The suburbanite is also an option at 270 lbs. It uses a different mount by the looks of it but it would certainly give you what you need.
  4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

With the amount of snow you probably get the HTS would be a better choice instead of the suburbanite. If your just doing your driveway thats the way to go.
  5. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Mishnick, I am not sure what you mean by the "single leg". What is that and how does it affect mounting?? The Boss plow I have now was hard to mount at times, if you didn't have it perfectly level. I do not want to have similar issues, if at all possible.
  6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

On the normal ultra mounts there are two stands / legs / feet that drop down and support the plow when it is off. The HTS only has one stand on the driver's side and then a likage that unhooks the passanger's side. I found that when you need to give the plow a bit of a push to get it to seat properly in the reciever then it kind of tips over where that second leg would normally be to support it. The worst is when you are hooking up on a smooth garage floor because they tend to slide when you drive into them. Maybe outside on gravel or snow it won't be a problem.
  7. dbarkie11

dbarkie11 Junior Member

I personally have an HTS on my f150 and its been great. Western wouldn't let me put a mid weight on because i have the crew cab and the long bed, so i went with the hts. I do a few small commercial buildings (dentist office size) and about 20 residential, and its held up fantastically. its on its 2nd season and done amazingly well. i had to get a new quadrant, which was warrantied by western because the dingbats at western didn't completely weld around where the 1" pivot bolt goes in, only tacked it, so when i hit a manhole cover that had heaved from the winter, the weld broke and the thing was super sloppy plowing. however, it was fixed by western without question which i think speaks to not only their quality but their willingness to stick by their product. I think the hts would be perfect for you, and if you decide to do some residentials, you are all ready!
  8. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member