1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"considering" a new plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Sep 24, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

So. i'v been thinking about getting a new plow this year.

Thinking.

I know many of you will like it. but ill never forget about my old plow. i'v put much work into it and it is much more reliable now than what it has been. Might even try to get a truck and hire a driver for cheaper.

But that plow has gotten me to the point in which i think i can afford a new one.

It would mean another 180 bucks a month payment.

As my finances stand. i need to make 7500 profit this winter. here is the hitch with that. Ill be on a few month delay, month or two before winter, month working, then a month billed out. If we do not get snow till late esspicialy. So i'm not going to count on having any money for plowing till the end of march. thatl be the safest way of planning.

This means ill need to get a steady job after work is done this year and try to make as much of that 7500 as i can working. I think i'm really only going to make half of that working. $10 per hour 36 hours. So i might try to offer 500 seasonal packages. I do have a client or two that will pay monthly.

Point is. I am pushing it if i do. My financing can push my payments back a few months tho.

Wont sign anything till november.

What do you think?

looking for stainless steel straight blade, 8'. still my 04 half ton dodge

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

How do u arrive at 7500?

3. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

$180/ month for what, 5 years? Why do that to yourself? Keep using the old plow and save up and pay cash for "another" plow, not necessarily a new one.

4. birddseedd

I use quicken to do my financing. All of my bills are in it and all of my income. It projects exactly what my checking account will be at (assuming i stick to the budget) i'v got another 2500 coming from summer (hopefully a lil more, but anything more will probably go into winter equipment). I will be positive up until december. End of march and i will be at -7500.

Thus i need to give deals to get seasons up front and get a job.

5. birddseedd

You don't know much about my plow do you :laughing:

meystern brand plow. several plows all hot glued together :mechanic:

(if i can do it i would like to get something i can rely on. esspicialy if i get this account with the fcc)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. birddseedd

It won't be the end of the world if i do keep my plow. will replace one of the cyl's and get soem electronic controls. jsut gotta go over it and be sure all joints are good.

oh, forgot to mention ill probably be getting the earned income credit with my kid. so after winter ill be good. its getting till then.

7. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Bird speaks the truth on this one, nice summery btw Bird:D so this fcc thing, is it plowing one of there lots?

8. birddseedd

Yea. That and the sidewalks.

I didn't think to mention. After 13 months I can pay off the lease. And its a lease not a loan. I can write it all off

9. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I was just going off of what you said. Needing and wanting something is 2 different things. :rolleyes:
    From what you have said, it sounds like you will be really strapped if you buy a new one. Good luck on whatever you decide. :drinkup:

10. birddseedd

Well. you should know a little about my plow. cobbled together mess of several different plows. i'v managed to make it somewhat reliable. and if nothing else ill be converting it to electric. but even then it jsut will not be as reliable as a new one. i'm upping prices on some people. i need to be able to match that service.

not saying i'v decided. these are jsut the reasons i'm considering it.

11. birddseedd

I asked this question in another thread. I think I should have asked here instead. A used plow was suggested. I can get a great deal on a 7.5 '. But i would prefer a 8'. Is the cost of new worth the full 8ft?

12. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]:eek::confused:

13. birddseedd

Your point is?

14. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

What are the yellow wings made of cant tell on my phone

15. birddseedd

Steel and rubber edge. And ill never do another lot without them.

16. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Good idea did you use poly can you post a close up I might have to steal your idea

17. birddseedd

Poly for the edge? Has to be rubber. Bottom corner is cut out so the blade can tip forward

18. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

its a 1/2 ton get a 7.5 blade, if you are dead set on a 8' dont get an xblade they are heavy and way more. If i was you id find a mm1 7.5 plow for your truck probably about 1200-1500 complete set.

19. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Idk, I just got rid of the same truck bird has. 04 half ton and I had a 7.5 plow (mm2) and it wasn't a very good experience for me. I traded up to a 3/4 ton. Hopefully it'll hold up better.

If your plow is reliable like you say, why put yourself in a bind with a new plow? In my opinion an 8' is way too heavy for that truck. Hell my 7.5' HD was way too heavy.

20. birddseedd

MD80 from snowdogg. Seems to be the only 8' stainless out there thatl fit a half ton.

under 4500 installed with a back drag edge.