1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Considering a jeep

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by roachy, Oct 14, 2010.

1. roachy

roachy Member
    from NJ

Just some questions from a newbie... What are the chances ill have to end up replacing the trans if I get a jeep wrangler for plowing resi homes for 1 or 2 seasons. What would these chances be compared to say a F250 or 2500 truck. If not the trans then the chances of spending all my earnings on repairing the jeep after the season. Not sure how well these vehicles handle the beatings from plowing..Any advice would be great.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ive use Jeep wranglers for 24 years plowing 50 to 100 driveways (BIG suburban driveways) Ive used manual trans. they hold up just fine

the TJ uses the same front axle u-joint as the F350

F-end parts are less expensive than the truck parts, you can plow almost twice as many drives in the same time, so you make more money. With more money you can spend more on repairs.

3. roachy

roachy Member
    from NJ

I know these answers are scattered around this forum so sorry for asking anyway. Just a bunch of questions I could come up with. Any input would be great.

-V4 vs V6 for plowing
    -How many miles do jeeps last for compared to say a truck or diesel vehicle.
    -What yrs would be best when buying a used vehicle in the 4grand price range.
    -Is it possible to get a decent jeep without spending much more than 4grand or will this only buy me a pos
    -Say I buy a used jeep and put my plow on, is there anything that would be considered a necessary for plowing. Would snow tires be a must because now I would have to be reconsidering my budget.

This site has great info and have been trying to spend as many hrs as possible reading from all you guys. Thanks for the help.

4. theplowmeister

from MA

for $4000 you will get a POS

I plowed for 8 years (250,000 miles 60 drivers/storm 12 storms a year ) on my 1990 Jeep, still ran like a top when I sold it.

the V6 didn't come out until 2005 or 06 (also had one in the 70's I think all others are inline 6, a bullet proof engine

5. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

The best engine for your purpose would be the 4.0L inline 6 cylinder. I am personally fond of it with the 32RH (3 speed) automatic for plowing. (it was used in the TJ's 1997-2002, the 2003-2006 TJ's used the 42RLE which isn't known for its strength). The 4.0 was used through 2006. The new JK in 2007 went to the V6 minivan motor.

$4000 will get you an older YJ (87-95), or a TJ (97-06) that has serious issues, unless you stumble upon a great deal.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

If you buy a YJ you had better either buy one with a plow or have a plow and MOUNT already. Mounts for YJ are very hard to find. Most of the time you need to have one fabbed up. For driveways jeeps are the way to go, love mine and they just keep going.

Good Luck

7. Plow Man Jim

Plow Man Jim Junior Member
    from Iowa

The money that you are talking about spending will get you either a 4 cly or a 6 cyl. You look around and you should find something in good shape. There is one manual tranny that is no good you'll have to check it out good. I can't remember which one it is now. I've been out of the loop long enough i just don't remember which one, but check it out good ,because it was junk and I'm not just saying that. Prices are different where ever you go.Just check them out good like you would any other unit. As far as taking a beating well i get tired of people using that term. If you abuse anything it will take it's toll on it. Snow plowing does not beat up a unit as long as you use some common sense and always take it easy. It's when you take short cuts and get all rammie is when you tear things up.

8. theplowmeister

from MA

I think the Plow man is talking about the Peugeot tranny They had a bad reputation.

I put 250K on my'n, plowed every year and went 4 wheeling in Moab most summers and never had any problem. my friend has 3 jeeps plowing with that tranny and had 1 that blue the reverse gear.

9. Plow Man Jim

from Iowa

PlowMeister:
    There you go your right on the money.. That is the one they used to talk about. Thanks for the reminder. I personally never had one, but I heard so many people say that they did have one and had problems that I always figured if all I could find was one with the Peugeot tranny that I would just tear it out and order a good after market one.

Boy living in Main is that right? I'll bet you get your share of snow every year....... Last year it was crazy busy around here in Iowa. It seemed like every other day it would snow...Ha Ha kind of like it did back when I was a kid..L.O.L.. Boy plowing snow gets in your blood after a guy puts on a blade and starts using it. L.O.L..

10. Mass4x4fun

Mass4x4fun Junior Member

MA is for Mass, just to let you know.ussmileyflag

I am the one that runs 3- 95 wranglers ( YJ's). I plow about 100 driveway's and some are privet roads too. The rig will hold up fine. I also like to beef up the front of the frame for the plow mount.

If the trans has an internal slave cylinder it is the Peugeot trans. Walk away or plan on replacing it. Also look for frame rot (with a small hammer) at the steering box & behind the rear axle where it droops down along the bottom to the shackle.

11. Plow Man Jim

from Iowa

Great Reply..

OK you have got me there..L.O.L. As soon as I read your reply I L.O.L. and said Oh ya he's right.... Ha Ha Ha..

By the way Great advise for those that do not know.. I happed to know but then I've been a Jeep nut for many years. L.O.L...

Great to see that we have a lot of Jeep owners on here.. :waving:

12. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

mass 4x4 where are you from

13. Mass4x4fun

Mass4x4fun Junior Member

Ranger,
    I am near 128 & the Mass pike. Where do you call home? Are you looking for work?

14. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

I live in Lowell,ma.And im looking to plow for the someome that needs help and is fair for price.I have plowed for 15years commercial /residential .Big f250 now 2nd ranger.

15. theplowmeister

from MA

I'm confused... Is it fine or should I walk away? :confused:

16. roachy

roachy Member
    from NJ

Thanks for all the info. I did a search and the peugot trans is only in yj's from 87-89. Im not looking at anything this old anyways. Not sure, but I heard something about the '99 jeeps being a bad year as well. Ive seen a lot of 97's in my area that seem in decent shape for 4grand. Still looking, just havent broke out the wallet on any yet.

17. wls

wls Senior Member

here's my 4500 POS, just kidding on the POS, just picked it up, straight 6, 5sp.

1999 Jeep1.jpg

18. theplowmeister

from MA

WOW that for 4500 Nice

if the frame and mechanics look as good as the pick you got a nice rig

19. wls

wls Senior Member

No rust, just very little surface rust, put new mirrors on. Sort of thinking of putting a plow on, for back up. I think it has a 1.75-2" spring lift. here's a couple pics pics of the spring area, pretty clean. Runs great

Jeep Lift Dodge doors1.jpg

Jeep Lift Dodge doors2.jpg

20. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

That my friend is a great deal :nod: