1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

considering 8' trip edge

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by randomb0b123, Nov 13, 2011.

1. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

this is for work truck(s) one has a meyers ez mount express that we predict will end up underneath the truck this season its such a huge pos. alot of plowing here is rough terrain lots of bumps and potholes and railroad tracks. always have shoes on adjusted so the blade stays 1" off the ground. alot of the time the blade is tripped so i was thinking the trip edge might be a good alternative and a little easier on the truck and plow? if anybody has one of these how do you like it? im also a big fan of the direct lift that has to be nice hitting bumps and not having the plow slaimming down from chain slack

2. Mgbss

Mgbss Junior Member

I have had a Fischer 8' for years with the trip edge I always thought all plows should have itThumbs Up especially V plows.

I sometimes wonder if it doesn't help throw the plow in the air when you hit a manhole cover. The other problem with my Fischer is it will really roll the sod but I think that has more to do with the angle of attack rather than the Trip Edge.

3. randomb0b123

from america

The only Fisher I've ever used was an old worn out mm1 engine driven on a beat to death early90s Chevy I'm not very familiar with them but I did hit a manhole cover with it and the edge tripped but didn't return I had to backdrag it to get the edge to go back is that normal?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  4. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Speaking from experience with Hiniker..... no its not normal.

5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed with a Diamond (Meyer's trip-edge brand) and it was great. In fact, when I first got it I didn't know anything about plows and had no idea that there was any other type, so I was quite surprised when I realized there were plows where the whole moldboard trips...seemed like a silly system to me. I'm still not sure I understand the advantage.

Mine never got stuck tripped. I never even noticed when it tripped, really...I got to just keep plowing, didn't even have to go back and pick up dumped snow.

Once while plowing a highway I hit an expansion joint that tore off my cutting edge (I was going too fast, BTW). That might not have happened if it was a full-trip instead of a trip edge, I guess.

Sometimes while plowing gravel aggressively, rocks would get stuck between the edge and the main moldboard, leaving it in a partially tripped state. That didn't seem to affect anything and cleared itself quickly.

6. Mgbss

Mgbss Junior Member

Must have been a sick plow:confused: the trip edge on a fisher compresses coil springs up not sure how it would stick unless something got wedged between trip edge and mold board, or ran the stop up into the spring holder. but anyway NOT normal

7. randomb0b123

from america

has anybody on here used or have a boss trip edge? id like to hear from someone first hand how they like it and how it holds up.

8. randomb0b123

from america

i called the dealer today, the trip edge is a few hundred more expensive. i still like the thought of the trip edge better than full trip because of the rough terrain the edge tripping wont make as much of a mess as the whole blade tripping. can anybody on here speak from experience? the person at the boss dealer said they dont even stock trip edges that made me wonder. i know its more expensive is that why theyre not as popular?

9. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

`They are not as popular, as most trip edge guys already run fisher or diamonds. They hold up great from what we have seen and we stock them

10. randomb0b123

from america

But I like the direct lift much better than chain lift

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

He's likely not stocking trip edges because trip method preference is very regional. As Jim mentioned they don't sell allot of them in Va and there's isn't a huge following for them here either but in New England (for example) they rule the roost. For your application a TE would be a fine choice. Just watch the angle over the railroad tracks. Thumbs Up

12. bleacher43

bleacher43 Member
    from MA

Boss 8' Trip Edge. Very nice plow. Durable as well.

13. randomb0b123

from america

do they "float" the same way a chain lift plow would? sorry i have no experience with this direct lift setup

14. bleacher43

bleacher43 Member
    from MA

If you double tap down button. It drops automatically into float position.

15. bleacher43

bleacher43 Member
    from MA

2010 Silverado 2500HD
    Boss 8' trip edge

16. randomb0b123

from america

like it so far? had any problems with it?

17. bleacher43

bleacher43 Member
    from MA

Love it last 2 seasons, no problems. Love the silverado as well. no problems with that either.

18. randomb0b123

from america

the way i understand it the trip edge would be alot easier on the truck plow and operator?

19. bleacher43

bleacher43 Member
    from MA

What is the verdict on the trip edge? Getting mine ready for season.

20. randomb0b123

from america

Taking with boss about it he seemed to like the idea