1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Connector swaps.

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by Laszlo Almasi, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I've had a couple of requests for photos and info on the connector swap out I did on my Hiniker so I decided to start a new thread on it.

In the photos, you will see the connectors with their caps on and off. You will want to build up caps like I did too in order to keep the grime out of your pins. Also, by having caps built up for both the truck and plow sides, you will be able to snap the male/female caps together and toss it in your truck when the plow is hooked up and everything will stay lubed up when you disconnect again.

Make sure you have different sizes so when your hands are cold and you have gloves on, it'll be easier to get everything connected properly without any hassles. I also do not run the mounting plate. I just loop the harness back into the engine compartment when not in use.

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I read somewear, might have been on here, were someone used 7 way round trailer plugs
    for replacements on there hiniker.

I also didnt use the mounting plate either.

3. Laszlo Almasi

That could work too but I like having a secure cap that snaps on, is waterproof and will keep any salt/grime out of my greased pins.

4. dmueller71

dmueller71 Junior Member

I actually used a 7 pin and a 4 pin trailer harness, and they've been good for 4 years now. The factory setup really sucked

5. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

Where did you purchase these conectors? Looks like a good setup.
    Thanks Dennis

6. Laszlo Almasi

I got them at a NAPA store. It was well worth the expense and time to swap them out. For anyone that is thinking about using these the first thing you'll think is: "Why didn't this setup come like this to begin with?"

7. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

Thanks, i will be putting these on my V plow. Last year the jack stand came loose and kinda tore things up. The connectors were not holding good. I managed to fix them with a hose clamp, but have been looking for a more permanent solution. These will work great.

8. Laszlo Almasi

Make sure you make dummy ends to cap the connectors in the off season. FYI, the connectors come in different parts/packages so make a list of how many wires you have and try to make one trip. If you want any help, you can contact me at my direct e-mail and I'll be glad to help out. You can go thru the site PM but direct e-mail will be quicker: iceangels@ec.rr.com or cooltoys@ec.rr.com

9. tkoyen

tkoyen Junior Member

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it. I've had nothing but troubles with the crap Hiniker plug, so I'm going to do the same thing Laszlo did. Thanks for the great suggestion.

The next challenge is how to get the plow onto the truck reliably.

Tim

10. Eric67ct

Eric67ct Junior Member

C-Plow (8801) Connector Upgrade

I agree that the stock plugs really suck. Even though I clean and grease the connectors, I occasionally run into a solid electrical connection issue.

Does anyone have pictures with pin-outs on how to convert this to a trailer-style plug?

Thanks,
    Eric:help:

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

just match the color of the wires.
    blue to blue
    blue with tracer to blue with tracer etc etc

i tried the cheep flat trailer connecters.
    I'm looking for something better.

12. Eric67ct

Eric67ct Junior Member

What type of trailer connector would you recommend for a replacement? Picture/links would help.

Thanks,
    Eric

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I was hoping this thread might help me too.

Right now it has what is leftover from the flat trailer plugs on it.
    That's how I know you won't be happen with them.

I'm might try a plug for a boss plow or a competitors plug.

The plug is the weakest part by far.

14. Laszlo Almasi

You guys need to scroll up and look at the photos I posted of mine. Trust me, you will not regret doing this upgrade the way I did.

15. 1997chevy

1997chevy Member

I might have to do this To mine. This is the third time now that the plow suddenly drops into float mode all by itself. After it does that nothing will move up/left/right/scoop/v.

Usually if I play with the connectors at the grill it will work again. Tonight I couldn't get it working again so this might solve my issues

16. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

15 year owner of hiniker plow and still got factory plugs

17. Laszlo Almasi

I think you're the exception. Not saying it can't happen but the factory plugs just suck IMO. Love my c-plow...but why scrimp on the connector? It only took one small bit of salt to corrode thru two of my pins.