1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Connected, but not working at all

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by theguynextdoor, Dec 8, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I just bought a 2000 F250 with a snoway plow on it. I don't know how old the plow is or what model it is. It has plexiglass mold board, 2 trip springs, the 3 pin mount system. I get power to my hand remote after playing with the wire connection from the truck to the plow. I just replaced the relay solenoid, and now when I try to lift the plow up down, left/right, the relay clicks and nothing happens.

Any ideas? before i move the plow to the curb for trash pickup? Its a piece of crap.

Thanks for the help

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It sounds like you solve the problem. if it operates when you jiggle the connector I would start by checking the connector. Could be you're not getting enough power to the unit, or you installed a bad out of the box 12 volt motor solenoid.

If you have so little patience you're going to trash it, I'm sure there are many guys on the site that would be glad to haul it way for you.

If you gave us a serial number we might have more suggestions.

3. theguynextdoor

haha, I'm not going to trash it. I would never just throw it away. Just soured on the whole purchase of the truck/plow due to last minute problems with the seller. I bought 2 solenoids, so I'll try the other one also. The actual plow never works. I sometimes get power to the controller when I play with the connection, but even then the plow does not function. The plugs are bad so I will most likely order some new wires. My dad suggested that even the connection I do have isn't enough to power the plow. The plow was poorly taken care of and isn't in great shape. I'll get the serial number also.

Are the solenoids plow brand specific? The ones I got from Napa are for a Western, but the guy said they are universal. It is the same voltage and has the same set up as the one I took out.

4. theguynextdoor

PLEASE HELP! BIG STORM COMING!

I have been looking over the plow over the past few days, playing with wires.

When I hit the function buttons on the controller, the solenoid relay clicks very loudly and the plow does not work. The only thing that does work is the down function. I had it ratchet strapped the truck to move it and I hit the down button and it went down. I tried crossing the top posts of the relay with a wire, 1 post goes to pump, the other to positive battery. That did nothing, and I heard that if you cross them the plow motor should run. I have also tried grounding the plow and relay to the truck because I thought maybe the ground was bad.

I could really use some suggestions. Is the pump dead? Is it electrical?

thank you

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Test the 12volt motor solenoid it sounds like the culprit.

6. theguynextdoor

The solenoid is brand new. I do have another extra I could try. I was told that if you cross the wires going to the pump motor and from the batter at the top of the solenoid, and the motor runs, the solenoid was bad. But when I did this, the motor did not run. I am going to look for a new motor tomorrow.

How would I test for ground, or ground the system properly. I feel like it might have a bad ground but I am not sure.

How would I test the solenoid more? I don't want to try another one, if the lack of ground is ruining it the second I hook it up.

Thank you for the help.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Last year a guy had two bad solenoids in a row, so it could be the solenoid. you must have a ground the drop coil is working though checking to see if its's connected to the battery is a good idea. Have you tested for power in all the right places? looked for amp draw when the unit activated? have you checked all the grounds?

WE really need the serial number off the plow for further assistance.

Or if you're really in a rush, take it to a dealer.