1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Confused...

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Turkey, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Turkey

Turkey Member

I'm having some difficulty with my vee. I topped off the hyd. fluid as directed by the manual. I've had fluid come out the tank vent (at least that's where it appears) the last couple of time out. Now the plow is starting to function slow and jittery like its low on fluid, but there it still looks like fluid is coming out the tank vent. Am I missing something, or should I be looking for something else wrong.

2. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

What is functioning jittery? Up, down wing function? I had the same problem with my old straight blade. Had to replace the lift cylinder, also had fluid coming from the vent.

3. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Does the fluid look aerated at all? Maybe air getting past a seal and causing your leak and the wierd operation..?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Clean it up and verify the fluid is coming from the vent FIRST. Because if its actually coming from a leaking valve or fitting above the reservoir it can appears as coming from the vent.

And also if it is a leaking fitting or connection, that can also cause air to enter the system leading to aeration, jerky operation, and ultimately fluid being pushed from the vent afterwords. Need to determine which it is first.

5. Turkey

Turkey Member

The up and attach functions are jittery, the wings seem fine. It seems like the pump isn't getting fluid when trying to attach. Looking in the elbow on the light tower I don't see fluid, telling me I need to add fluid yet it's still leaking from the vent. When I had the front cover off I tightened all the fittings on the hyd valve, but I didn't check anywhere else. But, the fluid is coming out the bottom of the cover when it leaks out, nothing around any of the hose connections at any cylinder. Inside the cover, the most oil is inside on the tank directly below the vent. I pulled the vent of the tank and inspected it everything looks okay there, and according to the vent dipstick, the tank would have been overfilled.

Any thoughts

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If its only affecting the lift/lower functions and not the wings I'd be likely to suspect a lift cylinder issue.

And anytime you have a jittery condition (system shock) on a Boss they can push fluid out the vent, so that can simply be the reaction of your underlying lift cylinder issue.

7. Turkey

Turkey Member

My father-in-law plowed with my plow last, he did mention that mine plow makes alot of noise when lifted vs. his. Only difference would be mine is a 8-2 his is a 9-2 and a couple of years new. Can the lift cylinder be rebuilt?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A noisy lift is a good indication of a cylinder issue for sure. And yes they can be rebuilt IF the bore is good...but I don't anymore regardless. Just replace them with a complete new assembly.

9. Turkey

Turkey Member

Thanks for all the help B&B. I pulled the cover off tonight to have a closer look at things. I found that the oil may not be coming from tank vent, but directly above the tank vent which is the check valve, 31E on the Boss diagram. The vent was entirely coated with oil, including the top and outside, this would seem unlikely if the oil was coming out the vent. I noticed oil around the check valve, and it looks like the seal for the check valve is pushed out a little. I'm going to pull it out of the valvebody and try to seal it up better. Anything that would cause the check valve to leak? Looking into the oil tank, it's way to low on fluid to even be coming out of the vent anymore.

On a side note, I didn't realize the tank vent dipstick slid in and out. What's the correct position for measuring??

Thanks Again!
    Andy

10. Turkey

Turkey Member

The check valve was tight in the valve body, so it's not that it was leaking due to being loose.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing specific really, just a weak O-ring possibly. So yes you'll want to remove the check from the manifold and replace the O-ring. If thats indeed where the leak is it should fix you up.

As to the fluid level if your pump has the external fluid check elbow, you want to just see visible fluid when you look into the elbow with the plow attached and in the vee position. If your using the internal vent hole to check fluid level instead, you want the fluid to be approx 1" from the bottom of the threads with the plow on the same configuration.