1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by UPS, Oct 13, 2003.

1. UPS

UPS Junior Member

Ok...I've been searching these pages for a week or two now and I think I'm more confused from the posts than I was before I came here. I have an 03 reg. cab 2500HD 6.0L with a 7.5 Lexan snoway.

Do I need to adjust torsion bars on the front end of this truck? If so should I adjust it just for snow season?

Should I just get some timbrens and install those?

Should I just leave things be as they came from the factory?

Like some have said on here I do not like the "lower front end" of the chevy as opposed to ford/dodge. But I love everything else about the truck. I don't want to adjust something if you guys (experts) :salute: don't feel it's necessary.

Any info/help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I think with a 2500 HD and a 7.5' snoway, you would be more than fine leaving your suspension alone. That is definately not a heavy load as far as that truck goes.

If you do decide to adjust your suspension, be sure to have it aligned, if you choose to leave it 'cranked up'. Your toe and camber will both be out of whack.
  3. myo

myo Senior Member

Timberns wouldn't hurt but in your case you don't really need them... How much does your truck sag when you lift the plow?
  4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think you would need to do any modification on your truck front suspension because I believe that the plow is lightweight. Like Myo said, does it sag at all? If so, how much did it drop? Adding a set of Timbrens would definitely not hurt to do but probably not really necessary anyway.
  5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

UPS.......My front end sags badly on my 01 2500 LD
    X-cab with VYU plow prep. pkg..

In the winter I just crank up the torsion bar bolts
    6-7 turns to gain a inch or more height............

I have the torsion bar bolt heads punch marked
    also the frame for a reference point.
    I just crank em' up in the winter and back down
    in the summer.

So far NO excessive tire wear or any suspension
    stuff either. I have never had this truck aligned

Remember: turn bolts clockwise to raise truck.
    Counterclockwise to lower..............

Its also easier to turn them if you jack up the front
    of your truck to take the tension off the bars !
  6. UPS

UPS Junior Member

Well, the plow weighs in approximately 497lbs and the frame is another 127. Not sure how much it sags when I lift the plow. I will have to do that within the next couple of days. Is there an easy way to go about measuring it?

On another note... 85 views and only 4 guys with opinions or willing to help out?

Even on the other posts I notice that alot of the help/info comes from the same small group of guys.

Well, I for one am extremely greatful for those of you who take the time to help a new guy out. I one day will have the experience that you guys do and I will do my darndest to give out information to this site.

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

UPS- the easiest way to measure the amount of sag is with a tape measure to the top of the fenderwell or someplace like that. As long as you measure to the same place when the plow is down, and when it's reaised, you need to be consistent.

Ray posted some pictures while measureing his truck, they can be seen here .
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Adding a set of Timbrens would be more than enough for that truck.You shouldn't have to get into cranking the torsion bars unless you really want it top sit level.
  9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

UPS, welcome aboard! :waving: I think the reason not many other people responded is because the first 4 people who responded gave excellent answers and there isnt much left to add. Heres what I did when I measured how much my truck drops with plow raised compared to with plow lowered. Use a tape meausure and measure from the ground to the bottom of the front fender, in the middle of the front fender, so the tape measure goes down the middle of the centercap on the front wheel. Remember how many inches it was. Now without moving the truck itself, fully raise the snowplow and measure in the exact same spot as you did before, same front wheel, center of front fender and middle of the centercap on the front wheel, from the ground to the bottom of the front fender. This is how I like to do it. Hope you understand what I mean. Once again, welcome to PlowSite! Mike :)
  10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

We used to run an 8' Sno-Way on an 89 1500 and never had problems with the front end sagging too much. That plow currently rides on an S-10 and sag is noticeable but not a real problem. I would think that you should be just fine with everything stock on that truck.

Crank em up anyways, these nice HD trucks look so horrible when the front end drags the ground!! i bought a new GMC 2500HD and the first thing i did was put 8 turns on the bars. This was to just make the truck look better without the plow. In the winter ill put 400-500 pounds in the rear to keep it looking level. I hate a truck when the rear is 4 inches higher. It looks plain Stupid!!!!! Just me?