1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

confused....

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by brickslayer, Jan 18, 2011.

1. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

Have a newer 8' superduty straight blade. Wondering where I start. Plow goes up only 1 out of every 20 times I try. BUT it does go up every time when I have the headlights OFF. Actually it seems like its weak In every direction. I've had newer boss plows and had no problem angling it while pushing snow. Not this one. Had it on two different trucks and same symptoms. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Tired of turning my headlights on and off every time I have to raise the darn thing!

2. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

O ya the motor on the pump does work every time just not going up. I do have new fluid in it also.

3. MrSnow

MrSnow Junior Member
    from Indiana

I had a similar problem. Dealer told me it was a ground issue. By the time I located the ground issue, the controller burned out on me. Found that some of the wires on the truck side were worn, causing a direct ground (short). Might consider tracing your wires down and checking all the wires in the harness. It takes a little time (especially with the protective sleeve), but you will probably find your problem there. Might start by checking both plugs, truck and plow side, where the wires go in. If not there, start tracing on back.

4. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

Definitely not truckside wire harness. Same exact problems with two different trucks. And both trucks by turning the lights off allow it to rise. I was using the same handheld controller in both trucks, but just can't see how that would be the problem as the motor spins and the light turns red when held down and green at up.

5. MrSnow

MrSnow Junior Member
    from Indiana

I really dunno,, You are describing the exact same problem before I changed controllers. Do you have a second controller you can put on it and see? If not the truck side, I would definately check the plow side plug and wires too. When I turned on my headlights the plow would lower, then I had to turn off the
    headlights to raise it. Motor would be on while lowering too... it was horrible.

6. MrSnow

MrSnow Junior Member
    from Indiana

Controller responded the same too, green up, red down.. I would try a different controller.. Not saying it is your controller, but it could be possible..

7. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

It doesn't lower when I turn the light on. Just have weak to no action left and right and definitely won't raise with light on. I'll get another controller to eliminate that possibility but anyone have any other suggestions?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure do, you have a short or poor connection on the plow side. Need to go over every inch of the harness both under and outside the pump cover and check each connection where the wires terminate on the coils. Pay extra special attention to the brown ground wire (assuming it's new enough to have one) for the coil grounds as well as the power cable connections on the motor.

Something is either loose, corroded or shorted.

9. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

I will go over everything again. Didn't see anything the first time but its acting like a bad ground. I was just thinking do the coils get worn out and need extra current that the headlight are robbing. Or something like that

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What year is the plow? Look to see if it has a dedicated brown ground wire from all the coils and over to the motor ground connection. If it does then there's also an inline diode in that wire that may be bad. Need to check it for one way continuity with a OHM meter. Don't see too many failed diodes but if the plow is run with a poor power cable connection it taxes the diode therefore shorten it's life.

While you're there with the OHM meter check the OHM on each of the coils to check their health also. There's no real need to check the Smart Hitch coil but check all the others. Should show about 5-8 OHM or so. If there's any showing much more they should be addressed.