1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

confused

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by hawkeye, Oct 28, 2010.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye Junior Member
    from Iowa

hey all I am going to be buying my first plow and I love the look of the snowdogg but here is my dilemna. I currently have a 2001 silverado 1/2 ton and I have an option between the md or hd 75. If I put new 6 ply tires on and timbrens in the front could I support the hd? I plan on purchasing a 3/4 ton in 2 or so years so would it be smarter to get the hd with the timbrens added then use the truck and transfer the plow when I am done or should I get the md use it for 2 years and start over on the new truck? If the hd is truly a possible application on my 1500 that would be my first choice. Also I have a 105 amp alternator should I upgrade to the 140 amp? Thanks for the input.

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Get the HD, it'll be worth it in the long run.

3. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

Check out the wieght difference between the two. Your Alternator should be find. Where are you at in Iowa.

4. hawkeye

hawkeye Junior Member
    from Iowa

Quad Cities- Davenport

5. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

I have always run the heavier plows on 1/2 ton chevy's with Timbrens without any problems. I do seem to always burn up a u joint here or there. Ran a Fisher Minute Mount on My 02 and the same plow on my 05. Ran an 8ft western prow unimount on my 1500 Dodge too.
    I am putting a 7.5 HD on my 04 Suburban next week.

6. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I believe I may be able to help you!

:angel: I have that truck, and I have been through this.

I have a 2001 Chevy Z71 1500. I had a "mickey-mouse" POS electric drive on it, made due and then bought my SnowDogg. I am very happy with it. When I went through this, I dealt with the same questions. I have the MD75, and it causes my truck to sag....AND DO I MEAN SAG! So to tell you, the MD75 is heavy for that lil front end. If you had a 1500 HD, it actually has a bigger frame and larger suspension components. If you were 1500 HD and up I would say get the HD75. Since you have the 1500 like I do, you would be able to go with the MD75. I am going to put timbrens and possibly bigger coil springs on the truck in a few weeks. Last season I "skimped by" with my setup. When they installed the plow, it had the little light brackets, and they didn't see over the deflector. Now they have a fix for that (or you can take the deflector off). The MD is more than enough for the 1500! It is not built any more "medium-duty-ish" than the HD. They are both very well built plows. This MD75 is 10 times what my father used on his HD Meyer setups back in the 80's. It is rugged enough to get you through. I use all of my plows commercially. I don't play with my equipment, I work it.

I can honestly tell you that I created thousands of dollars worth of work on my '01 1500 by plowing. Just go ahead and upgrade the front end components. I went through ball joints, steering linkages, bearings, ABS sensors, everything up in that direction! And that was with the MD75 attached. I had no problems during the plow season with it, but I just want to warn you. Also if you have trouble when you slow to a stop and the truck's ABS kicks on (it will skid forward and not stop in a jerky motion) just get under the truck and clean the ABS wheel speed sensors. It cost me $300 to find out that replacing the ABS was unnecessary for mine, and they constantly need checking on that truck. There is a recall on a few parts. Tailgate-hinges and latch; ABS-valves(?) and sensors, and some other stuff on that truck! Trust me, been there done that. My tailgate FELL off today LOL. :mechanic: Those trucks get rust man! get it undercoated every year or two. Go ahead and get a spray in liner, as the factory one set me on my @$$ because it started to come apart. The bulbs in some of the license plate lights tend to go out on them. The engine has common fuel pump issues for that year, but the 5.3L Vortec is solid and so is the tranny if you treat her right.

Here is what I would do: Upgraded Coil Springs, Timbrens front, upgraded torsion bars, (all other components that follow suite; can't remember them all), 235x75 E tires if possible (think I got that right), steel painted wheels, swing away 9 cu or less spreader, tow mirrors, load control area (cage for salt bags) behind axle in bed, tarp/tanneau cover, Extra overload leaf spring in rear, rhino lined rocker panels, undercoated, fluid film bumper, Back rack, over wheel well tool box (locking), One mini LED bar on rack, two reverse work lights off rack, high watt reverse bulbs in tail lights, secondary alternator (some '01s have a spot some don't), secondary battery, flex mount for hand controller (mounted in center cons), auto reverse lights, top work lights on rack on/off switch, work light on/off switch, work lights kill switch (all lights), some good CD's, and some snow!

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Wow I ran a Regular Duty Fisher 7.5' Minute Mount 1 on my 03 Dakota Quad Cab with ballast and a Buyers SUV Spreader on the back for 2 years and never had that many problems. A few cranks of the Tbars and it held it fine, I only replaced one set of ball joints and 1 wheel bearing the entire time.

8. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

I ran a 7.5 Fisher minute mount thet weighed over 700LBs on my 02 silverado 1500 extended with the 4.8 and used Timbrens and a few turns of the T-bars, nothing else. No problems for three seasons except a new set of u-joints. It didnt sag enough to bother me at all. My 04 suburban goes in Thursday for an HD75. Tmbrens and a few turns is all I plan on doing for now.

9. PhilCat

PhilCat Junior Member
    from Mpls Mn

If you put equal weight on all four tires, you don't get the wear on only the front drive components when plowing.
    More weight on the rear / better still.

10. eric02038

eric02038 Senior Member
    from MA

Sounds like you just need to buy a Ford!

11. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I did! Not for that reason though. I used ballast, at least 200lbs but I'd rec. about 400. The front end just was worn, and then got more abuse from the plow I think. No one did anything to it in its 80k miles or so, so its to be expected (plus my sister crashed it and then someone hit and ran on it....I think it threw it out of alignment.

But ya just got a 2010 F250 XL reg cab 5.4 L Auto. It is a beast of a work truck. I am putting a VX95 on it soon. I've been between going back to meyer, moving to boss, and sticking with snowdogg. I'm going to run SD until I have more complaints than the mounting system, I save so much money and have a reliable plow...so I can deal with the Shatty Jacks on 'EM!

But I have to say, these components fail all the time on that particular year, so monitor it! a good PM system and you won't have to worry about failure.

BTW my chevy rides nicer, but my ford front seems to be heafty (you kinda have to choose comfort or utility) and I have to say we have good experiences with all of the big three. The MD75 is perfect for you, I wouldn't recommend the extra stress....plus if you start making the MD75 fall apart, you need a truck to keep up with that HD plow. The key is balance, your trucks and plows have to matched for toughness, or the stress of one system will cause the other to break.

Ex: my MD75 would get torn apart if I put it on my big F250.... My (soon to be) VX95 would tear apart my 1500. Unless you are doing a lot of drives and small stuff, I would recommend skipping the HD75 all together. Just move to the 8 or 8.5' trip edge.... It will increase your productivity a lot over a 7.5, Just go out and drive the different size blades....you'll get a feeling for what works, and what doesn't

12. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Where are you getting your Snow Dogg? There are no local dealers, and I'm looking at their products too, just a little worried about service being an hour away.

13. hawkeye

hawkeye Junior Member
    from Iowa

hey vamootsman pm me and i will fill ya in

14. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

You need more posts to PM. It's 10 or 12 can't remember but you're just about there.

15. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Check your visitor messages

16. djtidbit

djtidbit Junior Member
    from 60515

get the hd, the hd makes the md look like a toy. I put an hd on my 05 quad cab ram 1500, put timbrens on and torsion bar keys, truck handles it just fine. Just wish it would snow so i can use it.

17. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I bought mine out of Omaha Ne. He could drop ship one to your door though. Give Jason a call 402-850-3569. He will treat you right.