1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Confused On short box/long box requirements

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jackson321, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Jackson321

Jackson321 Junior Member

Hello..

I am finally wanting to purchase a Vbox spreader this year after using bagged salt on my tailgate spreader for the past few years.

I wanted the SnowEx 8500 but my dealer says I need a long box truck for this. I will be putting it on a Dodge Ram 3500, short box. Is the long box "recommended" or is this salter just too big for a short box??

My dealer, who has provided me with excellent service for several years, also carry Saltdogg. I was hoping to go with the SnowEx but if it doesn't fit in a short box then it doesn't fit. Can I put the Saltogg SHPE 2500 in my short box??

Thank you!

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You can do what ever you want however spreaders that size require 84" of bed to be set on and you'll have a lot of unsupported weight hanging off the back of the pickup.
    They're plenty of reading/post about SaltDogg spreaders and most are not positive and would advise you avoid them. Depending on the material you're spreading the SnowEx may not be the unit you want due to bridging/feed issues. Have you considered any other brands, chain verse auger?

3. Jackson321

Jackson321 Junior Member

Hey Buff.

Thanks for your reply. My dealer has been very very good to me for all my other equipment needa. And after hours of reading on this site, dealer support is so important when you really need them.This is why I was leaning towards the SnowEx. My dealer carries SnowEx, Saltdogg and Hiniker. And I have read about all the issues with Saltdoggs. I believe the 2500 Saltdoggs is considerable better than the 2000 Saltdogg model form what I have read. But now I'm back to the drawing board.....

QUOTE="BUFF, post: 2152869, member: 42065"]You can do what ever you want however spreaders that size require 84" of bed to be set on and you'll have a lot of unsupported weight hanging off the back of the pickup.
    They're plenty of reading/post about SaltDogg spreaders and most are not positive and would advise you avoid them. Depending on the material you're spreading the SnowEx may not be the unit you want due to bridging/feed issues. Have you considered any other brands, chain verse auger?[/QUOTE]

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I don't know much about SnowEx spreaders but we have a few SaltDoggs. TGS07, SPHE1500 and a UTG. All three have control issues. Now we wouldn't be overly upset about this but when it takes 3 weeks to get a control that is a problem. The UTG showed up 2 months after it was supposed to. So not so a bad product since everything breaks but when they availability of parts and customer service sucks it makes it hard to recommend their product.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Jackson321 likes this.
  6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I don't know anything about snowex spreaders. Hiniker sells very few units both plows and spreaders, so there's not a lot known about them either. I have a Saltdogg, and I had a lot of issues with it the first year, but I learned to open the baffles all the way, and it has worked well since then. I haven't had the controller issues others are talking about (yet), but there have been many complaints about them. I think that the Boss VBX is about the best poly/electric spreader out there, and they make them for short and long boxes.

Jackson321, FredG and BUFF like this.
  7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Harley is correct. You can purchase 6' spreader or 8' spreaders for pickups. Smith, Monroe, and Air flow is all I ever owned. I have no idea about anything else.

8. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

I've seen the 8500 in short bed trucks. They usually put a Metal bracket that gets bolted to the spreader and the truck, near the back of the bed, in addition to straps. It runs under the portion of the spreader that hangs off the rear end of the truck. The hopper portion of most spreaders have to hang off the back of the truck, to clear the rear bumper with the spinner assembly.

Theres good and bad to all spreaders, just try your best to figure out whats best for you and your application. I do agree that dealer support is key and if your dealer isn't willing to install it that way, then let them suggest other spreaders or options . This can't be the fist time they've been threw this.

Jackson321 likes this.