1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Confused on Fluid to use

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by netboy541, Jan 13, 2009.

1. netboy541

netboy541 Junior Member

I have a Meyer plow that I bought used.

I've been having a few issues with it freezing up at times when it's about 20 degrees or colder, which tells me there is probably water in the fluid. If I shake the lines around and have my Girlfriend press the side to side buttons every now and then, it will finally move, but it sure is slow.....

I've searched google all I care to and have wasted at least an hour of my life.
    I need to know 3 things..

1) What fluid can I use to get me by? (yes I know I should use the Meyer stuff, but I need this fixed today, not in 5 days when the fluid arrives by USPS)

2) where the hell is the fill plug?

3) Is there a way to make a reservoir and relocate it under the hood? Something tells me that doing such a thing would eliminate these sort of issues...

I do not know what kind of pump it is, but I want to say it's a E-47, but I'm not 100%.

Here's some pictures to help --

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c153/netboy541/Snow Plow/

Thanks for any help in advanced!

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You have an E-60

1. Any low temp hydro fluid, find a plow dealer near by and buy it from them doesn't matter who's name is on the bottle, DO NOT USE ATF!

2. Click on the Meyer link above and under the Service and Support tab you can download the service manual that will tell you everything you need to know. EDIT: I'm bored this afternoon so here's the link for you E-60 Service Manual

3. You would need a new pump unit and lift cylinder to move it under the hood.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  3. netboy541

netboy541 Junior Member

Thank you for your response...

Unfortunately, I am hydraulically dumb. Lets say I am in a jam, I need fluid, right now.

What could I get off the shelf in say, Wal-Mart to get me by? What exactly do I need to look for? SAE grades? something similar?

I have no idea what kind of fluid I should get... I just don't know anything about that kind of stuff, so that's why I am probably asking dumb questions...

And thanks for telling me what kind of pump I have... apparently I was waaay off!

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

No problem, Walmart won't have anything but if you have a Tractor Supply, Farm and Fleet or any equipment dealers near by they should be able to help you out. Just tell them you need some low temp fluid for a snowplow if they don't have any they may be able to tell you someplace close to get it.

5. netboy541

netboy541 Junior Member

thank you much! That is exactly what I will do!!

6. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

I sell Oil, and got me a bucket of HVI 22 for my plow.. good for a few years now and will handle cold temps.

7. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

Just got mine from Tractor Supply.

8. netboy541

netboy541 Junior Member

That's what I did today.........

Blue container........

9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

net if your in Hamilton you should go to either Kaffenbarger on kemper rd in tricounty or smith trailer on 42 or ohio river body use meyers blue. If you have water you can use trans medic to get some of the water out its in the white and red can at any parts house just a few drops. You need to do a flush on the system soon other stuff eats the seals. But in a pinch what you got will work.If you need some help send me a pm and will call ya Iam in colerain but most of my props are in tricounty and butler county 275 north Eric....

10. netboy541

netboy541 Junior Member

awesome.

I own some rental properties here in Hamilton, and got sick of paying a guy to do it for me, and he did a half-assed job, so this year, I figured I'd do it myself. I wish it would actually snow enough tho for me to put the truck to work! I did luck out a couple days ago and got enough snow to be able to plow it. It wasn't much, but it made the salt spread job easier.

I plan on draining the system here in a few days... i sure can't do it now cause it's awfully cold out there! I just got done filling it with the fresh stuff and that made a hell of a difference. I will go pick up a can of that trans-medic stuff, and give it a try. That would be handy no matter what to have around...

It appears I have a small leak on the ram that moves the plow up and down. Not a bad one, but enough for me to see it after a few times of moving it up and down. That blue fluid sure makes it easy to spot.

Everything else looks fine, so I will get a O ring kit and once the season is over, I'll tear it down and fix that little problem.

The truck ain't pretty, but it'll do the job, for now! xysport

Next thing I need is a salt-spreader that goes on the drop hitch.
    I gotta save up the cash to get it tho.

Thanks a million for everyone's help.

--- fernalddude that weather map you have is pretty cool. I may have to get one of those for myself!! haha!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

12. netboy541

netboy541 Junior Member

Alright, so today, the plow won't move.

Normally, when I press a button, there is a noticeable load on the truck, and the voltmeter dances, and so on, but today, I get nothing... The controller lights up, I press the up button, I hear the relay throw on, but I get nothing. I can't tell if the motor is trying to budge or not, as I can't hear it over my engine.

Last night, I topped off the fluids and it worked fabulously when I shut it down and went to bed.
    This has been something that has been happening off and on lately, and I don't know if it is indeed the fluid or if the motor is failing....

It will go down tho without a issue, but I am scared to set it on the ground, because if I can't get it to come back up, then I'm screwed... lol

13. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Chances are if you hear the motor running and you havent done the flush and fill, your going to need to do it now. Yeah i know its cold out there, but thats problay your problem, its froze up.

Go to the mechanics guide and find where the filters are and pull them out, you will probably find that they are iced up.

14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If the motor isn't running when you hit the control first thing would be to hook a set up jumper cables up to the motor and verify if it will actually run. If it runs with the jumpers then the problem lies in a connection or the motor solenoid mounted under the hood.