1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

confused on basicss....

Discussion in 'Universal PlowControls' started by ed39, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

im trying to wire a simple switch set up but i always confuse myself. i want to wire up high and low beams. i wanna make a switch to kill the factory lights and switch to plow lights.

i need this in slowwwww person terms so i dont confuse my self!!!!

2. Deco

Deco Senior Member

page 9............

3. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

page 9?????

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You need a DPDT switch. That's double pole double throw. You want On/On. No off position. One pole/side is for the low beams, the other pole/side is for high beams. The wires coming from the truck harness go to the middle terminals. The two terminals on one end will go to the truck lights, the other end will go to the plow lights. I'm sure someone will post a pic/diagram, but this will get you thinking...

5. Deco

Deco Senior Member

6. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

i want to be able to toggle the lights but still use the factory high low beam switch. with that switch ill have to switch it manually to high and low beams.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No, everything will work normally. I'm at the hospital with my son. If you look up the instructions for an old Fisher Speedcast, it should show it.

8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is the thread I found this wiring diagram for the switch (read post #1-25)on "lets talk snow dot com (one whole word)". look in the snow an ice, then lighting & wiring. the date of the post is 10/11/2006 by driftbuster.

won't let me link to the page.....

Hope this help you out
    toggleswitch for plow lights.jpg

U should use a 30amp in line fuse for the relays

toggleswitch for plow lights.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  9. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

FWIW

I usually set-up a plow truck with a true-dual system. I leave the factory wiring for the headlights, signals, etc. 100% stock.

Then I simply wire up an "on-off-on" switch to control my plow lights. I have gottena little creative and used a floor-switch for high-beams like the old-school trucks.

Our plow rigs are designed for maximum reliability. I can't tell you how many times I've had to fix plow light wiring because a factory module took a dump in a snow-storm. I keep the systems seperaate so that if one fails, you have redundancy. Sure it's a pain to use truck-side lights for plowing, but it's easier than having no lights at all.