1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Confused and Hesitant

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by thomas, Nov 30, 2006.

1. thomas

thomas Junior Member
    from maine

I am planning to plow this year for the first time. (about 8 driveways) I am not a complete moron, but I have limited mechanical skills. I would rather get a new plow but I am looking at $3,500+. I have a 2006 GMC 2500 HD. Am I better off getting a new plow or a used one? If I do get a used one, what year plows does my truck fall under. I have looked a little for used, but nothing...Is it even possible to get a used plow for an 06' truck? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The year of your truck won't matter. But you really might be better off going with new. Most plows in Maine are used until they're ready for the scrap pile. I did sell a nice 7.5' and a pretty well used 9' this year, though, so you never know. If you go used, you will still need to get push plates for your truck. Plus, make sure you're getting all the headgear and wiring. They and installation can run several hundred dollars. Installation alone can be $4-600. If you're anywhere near me, I'd help you out looking for a plow. Let me know.

3. thomas

thomas Junior Member
    from maine

Mick

Thanks. I am in Augusta. I have seen a few used plows for 2,000 that would fit my truck, but I dont know how much the install would be etc......Thanks for your time...

4. thomas

thomas Junior Member
    from maine

Mick

Can you tell me what a full trip is. In doing my research here some people have told me not to get one like that? What is the best type of plow to get. I have no idea what I am looking for. Thanks again

5. Mick

from Maine

Thomas, I'm in Palermo, just 25 miles east of you on Route 3. A full trip plow is one where the whole moldboard (proper name for the blade) folds under when it hits something. Meyer is an example of a full trip plow. Trip edge is where just the bottom 6" or so folds under. Fisher is an example of a trip edge plow. As with anything else, each has good and bad points.

If you'd like, we could get together and I'd be glad to help you out with questions you might have.

Edit: Meyer apparently also has trip edge plows.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  6. thomas

thomas Junior Member
    from maine

Mick

Sure. I need to make a decision shortly and decide on a plow. If you have any suggestions on where I could get one that would be great. I just cant see spending $3,500-$4,000 on a plow. Maybe thats what it costs.....There has to be another solution. Thanks

7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

There was a guy advertising completely refurbished Fisher Minute Mounts from Mass (not terribly far from Maine, though Augusta is a hike). I'm sure there are shops in your area that would sandblast & fix up an older system for you too. You would have to check with an installer about rigging it up with your truck.

Now, here's something that you might not have considered. If you were to plow 8 driveways for about $35 per plow, and your area was to get 12 events on average per season, you'd be bringing in $3360 in that season. Of course weather is a crapshoot, so ya never know (and I don't know how much y'all get up there). Assuming you're keeping your '06 for at least 3 years, you KNOW you'll more than pay off the cost of any plow, new or used. Obviously you want to keep the upfront expense down, but looking at the longterm can make you feel better about paying more for a new plow if that's what you decide to do.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing!

~Kevin

8. Mick

from Maine

Well, I went to Belfast and was looking on the way. Saw a couple, but they were really worn out. Just from my experience, when someone buys a plow, they keep it forever. A lot of people buy a plow just to do their own drive or lot, so they last forever. A good used one is going to cost nearly the new price or it's going to cost to get an old, rusty one sandblasted and painted. By the time you buy push plates for your truck and pay to have it installed, you're not going to save much.

Besides, there is no way I'd put an old plow on a new truck. I just bought a new Chevy 2500HD last month and had to get a new 8'HD plow for it.

Anyway, if you want, give me call - 993-2112. I'm in and out during the day and usually around after 5:00.

9. Michael M

Michael M Member

Used plow

If you go under the used equip. section of this site, there is a guy selling a fisher minute mount 1. He lives in central ma. The rig is practically brand new. I almost bought it except I decided to buy new. He's a really informative guy, I had alot of the same questions and he answered them all.His screen name is nascar24.

10. nichols

nichols Member

There's a guy that deals in used Fisher equipment in Auburn, ME. I just bought a used blade from him a few weeks ago, and he's a really down to earth guy, and seemed really knowledgeable. I'm sure he could set you up with whatever you needed for a used setup, and probably much cheaper than a new one.

His phone number is 207-754-9464, or e-mail plowguy@gwi.net.

11. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

I got a western 8ft pro unimount for $900 a year ago . all I had to do was paint it and service it . found a mount from a dealer for $175 traded to ford mount that came with the plow for the proper wiring and $75 . so all in all I have a good plow that I spend around $1000 for but I did the mount install and wiring which isn't very hard if you have a friend that can give you a hand . I don't think theres anyone here that would say I got a bad deal. all you have to do is look around .

12. thomas

thomas Junior Member
    from maine

Thanks to all!

I would like to thank all of you for your suggestions. I appears I will be better off buying a new plow, I just need to decide what...It will be a blow financially, but as many of you stated, it will pay for itself hopefully in the long run...Thanks again....