1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by lowrider57, Nov 23, 2008.

1. lowrider57

lowrider57 Member

I have been reading and reading all the posts and still I'm a little confused,,must be my age getting old and not as quick any more,,anyways here goes, I have seen contracts with as follows, 1-3 3-6 6-9 9-12 and over 12'' now does that mean you plow a driveway every 3 inches? Say we have a storm that deposits 7'' does it mean I go and clean it some time in the 1''3'' range ,then come back in the 3-6'' range and so on?Please help out a old guy,,,thanks!
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

yes there are contracts that bill similar to that setup, but if you think about it they really would say 1-2.9", 3-5.9" so on and so forth.

The reason is it takes longer to plow more snow so that contract is set up to save the customer money if it barely snows, yet still compensate the contractor if you get hammard.

When you go out and plow depends on your contract, what your customer wants, what your equipment can handle, the time frame it takes you to complete a route and start over and lastly the rate at which it is snowing with expected totals.

example, if it is predicted to snow 9" of snow and it starts snowing at 11pm, and it takes 5 hours to plow your route at up to 3", I would start plowing at 2 am (assuming there is close to 3" on the ground). this way all of your accounts have been cleared by 7am once. then you go get breakfast and start over. the way the snow is falling you will end up with 3 billable 3" trips. But lets say one of your accounts is a business parkinglot that is not open on the weekend and if started snowing friday night. in interest of saving time you skip the business to keep up with your other accounts. but now there is 9" of snow in the lot and it is going to take you twice as long to plow it. with the incramental snow accumulation contract you will get paid for your extra time, but at the same time the customer did not have to pay for 3 trips which would have been more money so everyone is happy.

hope this helps