1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Confirmation on plow, and what's all needed?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by aikavols, Feb 16, 2016.

1. aikavols

aikavols Junior Member

Hey everyone :waving:

Just purchased a used truck that has, what appears to be, a 7-1/2' Western Plow. I'd like to first confirm what I have - I realize it's not a commercial plow, but it would be nice to know exactly what I have. I know it has a Western pump, and the layout of the plow looks like a Western, but if someone could confirm based off the ribs and springs.

Images here:

I debated keeping the plow, or selling it off, but I think it's best if I keep it for my own use.

Let me be honest -- I've never owned a plow before -- I've used them without issue, but this is the first I've ever owned.

As snow season in my area is ending, I know I'll soon need to drop the plow and disconnect everything -- here's my issue -- I'm not 100% sure what steps I need to do.

Here's what I've seen -- drop a pallet, set the plow on the pallet and disconnect the electrical and the four pins. Simple enough, right? What else am I missing?

What other maintenance is needed for it as well? .. Since it's the end of the season, I just want to confirm what (if anything) should be done before storing it away for the summer?

Thanks everyone in advance.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Unimount plow. Very common and easy to work on.
    I always did the maintenance before the start in the season. You could grease up the angle rams for the summer tho
  3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Hose it down really well to get all the dirt and salt off it. Maybe give it a fresh coat of oil?
    Plows go on and off as needed, you don't just drive around with them full time, unless the vehicle is a dedicated plow vehicle that you don't otherwise use. The extra weight is hard on the suspension. Not sure why you think you need to put it on a skid.. just drop it straight on the ground. In fact, it won't even come off well if you elevate it. The leg won't work unless the a-frame is level.

Here is the owner's manual;
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/63097.05_060105.pdf -- the 5th page of the pdf, labeled as "page 2", has the instructions for unhitching it.
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Looks like some custom headlight wiring on that setup there!

And forgot to add what you have is a 7.5 Foot Unimount Standard Plow
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

some will take them off, some will leave them on all winter.

a skid is not a bad idea.
    maybe just a couple of 2x4's?
    as it will stop it from becoming frozen to the ground.
  6. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

When you park it till next season you need to give it a Fluid Film bath. 2-3 aerosol cans should do the trick. Make sure you coat all the exposed cylinder rams, and spray the electrical connections on the plow and the truck. When you get the plow out in the fall, it would be a good idea to drain and flush the hydraulic oil, to remove any moisture in the system. I change the fluid in mine every fall to prevent the hydraulics from freezing up.