1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Confirm or Disagree with my quick evaluation of a problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by goel, Feb 14, 2012.

1. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Plow
    Boss 8'2 steel V blade RT2 w smart hitch, no smartlock cylinders

Problem
    Right wing will ALWAYS extend when asked

Right wing will NOT retract.

I have a stick and the old toggle switch controller, same results with both.

Cylinder Problem???

Every thing else works perfectly, just the right wing retract is stuck - but if you push on a curb it will retract.

Thanks

2. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Just a little nudge on a curb and the it will take off on it's own? Or pushing all the way in on the curb?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Could be a valve stuck,do you grease it up during the season? Tighten the spring a little

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Check the obvious first--your electrical connections to the valves and solenoids under your black cover.Then check for magnetism on that wing.If it's not that,it might be some dirt blocking proper hydraulic function in that valve.Fluid and screen clean?

5. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Mr Mud - have to push it all the way

Grandview - yes, regular grease, but will tighten the spring.

Tuney - extends perfectly every single time you try so it can't be electrical connection. Can extend into full scoop and retract the left side, so its not a seloniod problem. Fluid change done at beginning of season, which was about 15 hours of plowing ago this year.

I was hoping it wasn't a valve, because I hate pulling them - always seem to end up replacing them. But considering purchased it used 3 years ago and have not done anything other than replace a broken spring last year - thats pretty good.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Also check your cylinder on the plow where it is hooked up at the base to make sure its freed up.

7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Fishy..... is the wing tweaked at all ?

8. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I would disconnect the hose from that cylinder first after it is fully extended(well slightly crack the fitting at the pump so it bleeds out) and then see if the spring will retract it. The spring should bring it back. If that doesn't do it tighten that one up and loosen the one on the cylinder, this would help eliminate the hose that way being collapsed on itself inside. MUD

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

None of that means a thing. There's a separate valve for each individual function thus one faulty valve or electrical connection will only cause the loss of one function, up, down, extend, retract etc.

Run the wing out and loosen the hose for it, if it retracts then it's a valve or valve activation issue (electrical). If it doesn't then the hinge is tight, the wing is bent or the cylinder is defective.

10. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

hmmm, Ok good to know B & B

The wing is not tweaked, the return spring has lots of tension. I will crack the lines tomorrow and report back on if it;s a valve or electrical

11. Rain Man

Rain Man Senior Member

My plow had that problem last year , I thought it was a valve or cylinder, but my dealer told me it was a dead spring. They put a new spring on and it works now. ( spring was not broken , just dead)

12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I thought Pa.had a law on the books for killing springs?I wonder what the punishment is.:)

13. Rain Man

Rain Man Senior Member

LOL Only people that plow for a living, can kill 3 per season.

14. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Similar to B & B's suggestion, try swapping cylinders, and see if the problem follows the cylinder, or goes to the other side. Could also swap springs first and see if it is the 'dead spring' that was mentioned earlier.

15. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry for the delay getting back, have not had time - but snow tomorrow so it was fixed tonight.

Cracked the line on both ends and still could not push it in. Had to take the line right off - big pressure build up was in it.

When we removed the line and the wing snapped back (definately not a dead spring). Went to Napa to have a replacement line made up but they tested it and it was still good.

Re-installed the old line - works flawlessly now. Must have been a build up of crap in the line at the valve which blew out. Cleaned and flushed the fluids just to be sure.

Going plowing tomorrow and instead of a back up/clean up truck it is going out on a route to test it.

Thanks all!!!