1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

confidentiality agreement

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Turkey, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Turkey

Turkey Member

I'm looking into purchasing an existing business that would allow me to expand beyond winter snow removal. First thing the owner wants is for me to sign a confidentiality agreement. The only info I've asked for at this time is a full range of services provided, commercial/residential and an approximate quantity of customers. I'm trying to figure out it this business is what I'm really looking for. I could understand an agreement once customer names or financial info is exchanged, but we're not that far in discussions yet. Would you consider this normal business proceedure??

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on what the whole contract says ,really it's may be saying you promise not the blab that this company is for sale because he may lose customers if they find out.

3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

yes...he doesn't want to liability of anyone finding out that he even wants to sell...if you don't sign he won't talk because he doesn't want you to slip up talking to someone

i have signed them all the time...working on famous peoples houses and what not...its no big deal

4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Just read what you sign. It should list what you can't talk about, to who, and for how long.

Good Luck.

5. Turkey

Turkey Member

Thanks for the tips everybody. Just received the agreement in the mail yesterday and haven't had a chance to read it over good.