1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Confession time...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTSolutions, Feb 14, 2015.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Well, I wasn't always like this. It really crept up on me the last couple years. I remember being enthusiastic about winter, getting to plow and be out at all hours. But now, I LOATHE plowing!

I fantasize about what it would be like to sit in my living room with a hot cup of coffee and just stare out the window watching the snow fall without having to worry about getting the route done. Not have to worry about whether employees will show up or break something. Will the trucks make it through the storm untouched? Are we really only going to get the 1-3" they called for or are will we get 6"+ with 1-2' drifts (yes we did btw).

I find myself laughing when the young guys on here mention they want 36" storms, or complaining about no snow.

Yea, I may have gotten cynical in my old age (28) but damnit if I wouldn't be happier sitting at home lol.

Definitely going to downsize our plowing for next year, tighten the route and only do the accounts that are incidental to our other year round services.

Not trying to be that guy, just expressing how I've felt lately. Good luck to everyone and stay safe out there!
  2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Im 48 this year, and I still enjoy plowing snow

I guess im just a weirdo..:rolleyes:
  3. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

it's just how you're feeling now. I am sick of the snow right now but I already know that come august i'll be sick of mowing and cant wait to get back at plowing. But i do know how you feel, this year has sucked. i was extremely bored november and decemeber and january was pretty bad but this february has been unbelievable. i have plowed almost everyday
  4. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I don't look forward to it much at all... It snows sunday and Thursday every week for nearly a month now. I wouldn't mind if it just snowed a few inches and ended around 10pm. Enough time to get it done easily and without having to deal with idiots on the roads. I loved plowing last year, this year I don't. I never lose my love for mowing through the season, I enjoy getting up early and hitting the lawns.
  5. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I get your headaches, some might not since theyre essentially running a solo op.
    For snow i sub for the winter. Its a refreshing break from the headaches your experiencing but next year i will have to grab my own accounts to keep full time guys busy. Im young like you, about to be 26 but ive been operating since i was 9 so the fun of snow wears off in about an hour lol

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

I feel the same way.
    I think it's the lead up to the snow I hate the most.

Will it snow or not, when will it stop.

When I actually get out and start plowing it's not bad.
  7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I too am not feeling the same about snow as I did years back. It used to be a challenge to see how many accounts I could handle and going after financial goals. I now have a lackluster feeling and this year has been a joke around here but I could couldn't care less. The more equipment you buy and the bigger you get just increases the pressure and the dread when you look at the forecast and wonder if you have everything covered and if everyone will answer their phone to come in. I too have had the envy of others that get to look out the window and watch it snow without a care. For those that say the checks make it all better I don't think that's true. Maybe its just getting older and goals have been accomplished. I don't have the answer.
  8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I don't mind so much. Beats logging with a chain saw in 4 feet of snow. And the money is handy.
  9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I hear ya. I would love to go skiing or like you said...just watch it snow. I don see myself being able to give it up.
  10. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

dont mind a biggy .... but they cant seen to properly warn (FORECAST) us about them . makes things difficult preparing , purchasing .
  11. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Just turned 54...I enjoyed it till this year....holy crap!
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Been preaching this for years!:D
  13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Im 45 and quit the biz 2 years ago (after almost 20 years of plowing)...... best feeling/decision I made :)

MOUNTAIN MOVER Junior Member

I've been plowing for 30+ years......used to shovel my way to the truck 10 miles one way barefoot. I have come to realize that it is a love/hate relationship. I've been saying for at least 10 years that I'm gonna give it up and move west......still here.....just cant break the spell its got on me. I love the beginning of the season and long for the end at the same time. Someday I will stop......when they plow me under. Hang in there guys, spring is coming.
  15. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

waiting for a ** snow squall**to put down a quik 3 here . what a joke .

imagine having 9 ' dumped on ur ace in 2 days , and all your accounts are seasonal . makes me feel better. them boys will be outta toilet paper for months
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  16. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

Although we have had a very easy year so far I am beginning to get sick of plowing as well. I'm sick of bending over backwards for property managers and building owners through out the season and next summer when it comes to re sign everyone is about there bottom line of making sure they are getting the best pricing although on our end equipment costs continuously go up as well as salt. I to can not wait for the time in my life where I won't have to plow anymore and will beable to look outside my window and say wow it looks shi*** out there!
  17. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

On year 30 or so myself...kinda lost count! I keep saying the same thing...spring is coming...then the real issues will rear there ugly head!
  18. Mike_C

Mike_C Senior Member
    from Jersey

You're around the age I was when the "fun" of plowing wore off, 38 now and I still hate it. A lot of guys who are solo op's don't understand the massive headaches. If it was just me I wouldn't stress, but bringing in a ton of guys every storm, trying to figure out when the best time to go out is, worrying about if I have to send out a couple guys to salt refreeze on a cold night after a day of melting. I scaled back snow removal years ago and it was the best thing I ever do, I'm less miserable in the winters now than I was before that...but I still hate doing snow. Right now we're in the middle of getting a storm, nothing major (2-3") but still would rather spend the night home with the wife and kids over dealing with this crap. Not to mention not really being able to plan vacations in the winter, I haven't even been down to my shore house since the week between Christmas & New Years. Look forward to the month of March when things settle down a little until sh*t hits the fan in April
  19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I feel the same way.I'm going to downsize next year. My weak link is finding reliable sidewalk workers.I'm going to drop lots with lots of sidewalks.The anxiety of pre storm prep eats me alive lol.Started plowing in 1988 and it went from making 400$ to 10K per storm.I feel trapped by the big bucks lol.Last year I paid out 23 k to my subs.I should just go back to a simple ,easy to manage schedule.Anyone want some accounts?.On second thought.......... the $$$$$$
  20. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

My only confession is that I am tired of all the lazy residential guys leaving snow in the road, or "taking it down the road." I have been "taking it back" to the end of their clients driveways for the last few days. Beware if you plow in the SW suburbs of Rochester, I will leave a 2 foot wall in your customers driveway. The only reason is it is a safety concern for others using the road. :hide: Can I get a big 10-4?