1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

condominium driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nyhog, Nov 27, 2013.

1. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

I'm new to the site and this is first post.
    I have been taking care of a condo complex for several years now
    has about 150 individual driveways. plus all the main roads, parking lots, walkways etc.
    The drive ways are my question. currently we bring in as many guys as possible to manually clear drives, usually about 25 for a 3" storm. I have a couple of skidsteers with pushers and snow buckets, and a polyethylene backblade edge( useless). anyone use a skidsteer blower or truck mounted blower for driveways? flow rate on skids low flow app 25 gpm. do they work for wind rows? Trying to get the quantity of laborers down. any help would be greatly appreciated

2. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

We use 3 skid loaders w/84" blowers for four different sites. Work great. Can direct snow in compact condo sites. We also use trucks w/Hiniker "C" Plows to back drag and push down to dead ends,etc. Just depends on the specific site how exactly we do them. Check out my other posts for pictures and more descriptions. Beats paying that many guys to do driveways. We use that many plus just do to sidewalks and in front of garage doors for all of our sites. Would love to reduce that if there was a way.

3. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

thanks for the reply
    do your skids have high or low flow
    was looking at ffc for new holland 180
    how do they work on wind rows, was hoping to blow snow into common areas, would help eliminate alot of snow banks

4. svc turf

svc turf Member

You hire 25 guys??? That's crazy amount of money going out the door and not to mention guys not showing up. We do a condo site with 130 drives with a skid and a 9 foot Kage and a truck to plow the roads. 2 guys shoveling sidewalks up to front doors. The kage plow back drags driveways and pushes the piles on to the lawn.

5. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

Ive tried backdragging with skid, wasnt too happy w/ result.

even bought a blade to back drag with so wouldnt scratch drives.

and yeah 25 guys 3" app 5 hours.

sometimes only 10 or 12 show up. makes for a fun night

saw kage advertised, maybe need to look into it further

6. svc turf

svc turf Member

What were you back dragging with? The kage blade does a pretty good job because you can put a lot of down pressure on it.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Pick up a jeep and put a back blade on it.

8. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

its a polyethylene blade that bolts onto snow bucket. got gnarled up pretty fast too.

9. svc turf

svc turf Member

Jeep with back blade doesn't work well at all. The previous company that did the condo account tried that and it failed miserably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayDCGIK6XfE

Watch this and skip to 3:00. This is exactly how we do it. Best way next to an inverted blower in my opinion

10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Blowers in close proximity to houses and cars and humans...scares me a little.

How deep are the driveways? I have a crazy idea bouncing around in my feverish little head..

11. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

they vary in size and depth
    some areas all snow needs to be brought onto main road because they are so close to each other
    some are singles some doubles
    single family are up to 100 ft.

12. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

i went on the website, havent contacted them yet
    says $5,800.00

13. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Ok, then my crazy idea won't help. Good luck

14. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

you could buy a Hiniker c-plow to back drag the drives, then the loader to clear the streets.

15. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Company around here that is big into condo corps tested a tool cat last year, added a pusher box with a back drag edges. Test driver hated the thought of it, did not want to drive it.

Until he did...

Cats behind they say. Purchased 4 more for this winter because it cut down so much on time.

2 Swipes back dragging, pusher box to move the snow. Double duty.

16. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

17. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

Those are really nice setups. Something to definate

18. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

Those are really nice setups. Something to definate look into

19. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

we service a condo development with about half the driveways. We maintain all the roads, sidewalks and driveways. For the drives which are all front load and about 10' by 25' we use a power broom( must have reverse so the snow gets thrown back towards the machine). 2 men, one on the machine one shoveling the doors out about 3 feet can do all 72 drives in about 45 minutes. We have used the broom on a heavy 10 inch snowfall with no problems. Broom is on a 420 cat backhoe which we have at the location because we plow a 6 acre lot right next door.

20. nyhog

nyhog Junior Member

That's pto driven?