1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

condo price

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTS Landscaping, Nov 14, 2004.

1. JTS Landscaping

JTS Landscaping Member

was wondering what you guys think of this price. i am going to do a condo there are 52 drives car length long i am charging them $6240 there is a couple of roads i need to do take only a couple passes. then another $1000 for side walks. they have a couple kids that wont to help shovel so then need another price for the season for them to shovel sidewalks wondering what i should charge then to have the kids shovel. it will take roughly 3 1/2 hours.
  2. Billz

Billz Member

well, you need to figure out how much time it will take you...lets say at least 5 minutes per driveway, and 30 minutes for the road....it seems like it is roughly 5 hours to plow...then depending on your trigger...1 inch for condos, I think around here, you have to plow 20-24 times. If it is a slow winter, and you only have to plow 20 times you would get 312 per push, which works out to be $62.40 per hour for you and your truck. Not sure about the shoveling part, if it takes 3.5 hours to shovel and there are 20 times to shovel then you get about $14.00 per hour for shoveling, I guess you could pay them $8 and still make a little.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I would be careful with the kids shoveling. If they shovel, how does that impact your liability? Say the kids shovel a section, or all of the isdewalks for that matter and someone slips and falls. Are you able to waive liability for the section(s) that they are doing? Can you rightfully prove that they did the section where the accident occured? You really need to consider these things as they will likely be there to haunt you. Since the kids have no assets and likely aren't of legal age (18), you can't go after them. Also with their ages, what are the laws pertaining to child labor? Can they only work in certain conditions, certain hours, number of hours? How does that impact you're Worker's Comp?
  4. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Plowed basically already voiced what would be my major concern. Those "kids" shoveling might be an insurance nightmare. Not to mention if it needs to be done at 3am. Aren't there laws regarding times minors (those under 18) can work, especially when school is in. The other thing, I'm not sure if kids could use snow throwers becuase they are considered heavy equipment.?.? I think a lot of thought needs to go into it.

As for the price I think a lot of consideration should be put into wear and tear on your vehicle. At only a car length long it would seem must of the drives would need to be done in reverse. I'm making a big assumption by thinking the garage/house is directly in back/front of driveway. This could be very timeconsuming and your trucks tranny could take a beating. I'm assuming that price is per visit?
  5. Henry

Henry Member

I had an account like that last yearand I wouldn't even want to do it if I didn't have a skid steer with a plow. It may be different by you but this place had a very narrow road and it wasn't easy keeping it open with all the snow we had last year.
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are going to clean all the driveways and then do the roadway haw are you going to prevent filling in all the ends of the driveways again or do you then have to go and clean out the ends and do you have a place to push it to. Sidewalks are a nightmare. No one person can shovel for 3.5 hours and how do you use a snow blower at 4 am without someone shooting you. I was asked to price on of these this year and it just seemed like he**. They can obviously be done because they are done every year but I would make sure that you have some leeway as to the time frame and liability. I also find that with these places there are a lot of cars parked outside at night. Drive by on evening and check that out before you bid.
  7. zak

zak Junior Member

Condo pricing

Fellow plower,

First off you better not even consider having those kids help you with the shoveling because if they are not on your payroll (part of the company) then you insurance wont cover them if something happens. Secondly, if they are not used to clearing walkways how well will they do. I take care of several large complexes like this in the Detroit area and my accounts expect their properties to be perfect. Also are you applying a chem. to the walks if so around here it gos for 28.00 per bag. I charge 35.00 per manhour for sidewalk help. GOOD LUCK
  8. JTS Landscaping

JTS Landscaping Member

they had sent a letter out to everyone at the condo asking if anyone had wonted to shovel sidewalks or if they new anyone that shoveled sidewalks. it will only take 1hr to do sidewalks they are pretty small one pass on the sidewalk. it will take a couple min. a drive most will only take one pass down cause they are a one stall.
  9. JTS Landscaping

JTS Landscaping Member

also i live right at the condos to so i dont have to drive far or anything.
  10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

The only place we shovel is tight areas. I have a friend that does walks for me with my 2-stage. I don't care what time of day or night it is. If the customer wants their walks done, I explain to them that when we get there, we do them. So far I've had no complaints.