1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Condo Price Help,please?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BASIC, Sep 25, 2004.

1. BASIC

BASIC Member

I have a chance to plow a condo complex this winter and I need help with a price for them please.The complex is 30 units with 15,2 car driveways and 3,4 car visitor parking spaces.I'd also have to do the steps and pads of the 30 units.The units are built on a steep hill and even though the town does the road,i think I'd have to push some of the snow uphill to a back area to get it out of the way.i gave them an initial price of $600 from 2"-6" and $100 for every inch after that.Salt would be an additional charge as needed,I think it was $150.At first they said they'd go with it then soon changed their mind,they said there afraid that their budget of $9000 would run out.They did mention they would be willing to pay me the $9000 devided into payment per month for the winter.I don't know if I care for that.Do you have any suggestions on what to charge?Thanks for any help,BASIC.
  2. NAC

NAC Senior Member

Condo price

How deep are these 2 car driveways? And is there any where to put the snow? I tried this same question before and did not get to much help.
    But from what I use as a guide:
    6-10"= $720.00
    10-14"= $864.00
    +1"= $100.00
    Salt on 30 driveways=$150.00
    These prices is what I would get just too subcontract if i was the prime contractor I would get at least 25% more on all prices.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Basic, are you using bagged salt in that tailgate spreader? Did you get the two stage? If you're using bulk salt and expecting to plow/salt maybe 12 times, you might come out ok with the $9,000 seasonal. But I'm hearing the Eastern coast can expect higher than average snow and cold, so I'd be kind of hesitant on going seasonal unless they're signing a multiple year contract.

Given that it's a condo, are they expecting zero accumulation? Or are they not wanting you to do anything under 2". It would make a difference.

How's that V-plow doing? Any more trouble?
  4. NAC

NAC Senior Member

Condo price

The average season is about 15 storms for the North Jersey area so I don't think they have enough money budgeted. Just my 2 cents.
  5. capital

capital Senior Member

I am not aware of your yearly push / snow fall amounts but think you need to sit down and figure out what your average time requirement will be to do the complex. Then decide what profit you want to clear from this client and decide if you can make your margins based on $9000.00. However you need to determine what your budget is and then decide. We offer three payment options and they are seasonal, hourly and per push/inch systems. Next week we will begin notifiy clients who have not chosen seasonal contracts that those have closed due to we have reached our limit on that option. Last year we only one client take that option. I know if a client tells us their budget we have a tendency to really search for who was doing it and what problems developed. IE Townhomes can have multiple people calling if you do not state in the contract who the contact is and what they expect. IE all items done before work or if they only want drive lanes done and side walks and parking areas done during the day. I wish you luck and hope you have a good snow system.
  6. BASIC

BASIC Member

Thanks for the response.NAC,the driveways are about one and a half car lengths deep.Mick,nice of you to remember my V problem,the dealer switched circut boards in the hand controller and everything was fine9I pray it still will be).I never got the spreader,I wanted to hold off the first year,though we might get it this year.I'll be using baged salt.capital,I don't think $9000 is enough.I have to pay someone to shovel also.We're in northwesten NJ and ted to get alot more snow than the rest of the state.Thankyou again for your help,BASIC.
  7. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i would want 600 just to do the sidewalks!
    i like per occurance pricing, weather varies too much lately.
    what are you paying for insurance?
    you have backdragging capability??
  8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Set the price you want to get then tell them you will do up to there 9,000 cap after that they will have to come up with more money or there will be no plowing.

dividing up your price it would cost each unit only $20 for each plowing of 2 to 6 inches. if they couldn't afford that then I would not want to deal with it.