1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Condo plowing procedures

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jokatico, Oct 22, 2003.

1. jokatico

jokatico Junior Member
    from Maine

Does anyone have snow plowing procedures that they give to the condo tenants explaining their snow plowing procedures?
    I have plowed small apartments with 3-5 cars in the lots so its was never too hard to get them to move their cars so I could clean the entire lot after the storm. But how do I handle getting 25+ cars to move after the storm? I have thought of giving them a deadline like by 10:00am after the day of the storm all cars need to be moved so I can plow their spot. If cars are not moved then I do not clear their spot. I can easily clear the main aisles but i don't want to plow in between each parking spot because there are some cars that have not moved.
    Thanks

2. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

condos can be a pain because the resident "board" has to vote on everything. what you described is exactly correct tho. however, if the board is power hungry, and a lot of them are, they will want to include a clause in their own "laws or constitution" from the board to the owners stating the policy for snow plowing. this allegedly protects the board from civil suits if grandma moses wants to sue because her space was never plowed. so,,, if you get the snow contract, ask for their existing policy and if they do not have one, provide them with your rules {moved by 10 am or not plowed} and suggest they vote it in at their next meeting.

3. jokatico

jokatico Junior Member
    from Maine

I never thought about what their own laws state. Before I give them anything in writing, I'll ask to see what ther policies are. My mother-in-law lived in one for a few years and if the cars were not moved when the plows were there, their spots were skipped. No questions asked.

4. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

GET A LAYWER

I do residential work for a very good laywer. He attends the final meeting when a contract is signed. He overlooks the paperwork, and CHANGES THINGS before I sign anything. I recommend this to anyone doing Condos or apartments.

5. whitetail

whitetail Junior Member

Most of my plowing business is in the residential condo and townhouse communities. I am very clear to spell out in the terms and conditions of the contract that plowing is for the travel lanes only and not for snow in the parking spots. I have one community that wants spots that do not have cars in them plowed. They pay a higher per push rate because of the added inconvenience to my drivers. The best advice that I can give you is to communicate at length with the association, and educate them on how hard it is to meet there needs. An educated customer will be more likely to think of us as professionals providing a service rather than a fly by night plow jockey. Communication, lots of it and early in the season, as well as spelled out terms and conditions will save you headaches and make you dollars.

6. Progrounds

Progrounds Junior Member

We spell out in our contracts that we will return one time between 10 am & 3 pm to clean out spaces where cars have moved. Any further return trips after that are only upon receiveing a call, and it is hourly rates portal-to-portal.
    BEWARE, though. We learned years ago not to do work for an association directly. We only do condo work through a reputable management company that is hired by the association. If you work for the association, their internal power struggles will kill you. Remember, a committee is a many-headed animal with no brain.

7. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

I agree

I think in the Detroit area, Landarc, INC. is the best management company. always returns my calls, and everyone knows whats up there.

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We plow alot of condos, 12 different one and some having 8 to 100 people. We give the association or property management a copy of the contract which states any vehicle left on lot during final cleanup will not be done (there spot) We honk horns on final cleanup and it works good, we get the strays but they learn after a storm or two that shoveling around there car is the pitzzzz.
    Just remeber to add your terms if they supply the contract!

9. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

I plow for a pretty large apartment complex, 33 buildings and lots, if not more. We have to have atleast 2 trucks there at all times during a storm. When its snowing, we keep the main part of the lots open, and only plow a few spots to aid in stacking snow.

Once the snow stops, we start clean ups, usualy after everyone goes to work. Cars that are not moved don't get plowed. We come by 2-3 times in the morning, and after that, if its only a small storm, they are on their own. A big storm, and we usually spend a day or two cleaning up everything. If we don't, then our job is 200% harder the next storm, cause people park in clean spaces, and leave the solid old snow where their car was before.