1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Condinsation buildup in Bobcat cab

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rich414, Sep 13, 2010.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

There was Frost on the truck windows this morning....winter is coming
    Here is my issue and looking for a solution
    I have a bobcat S300 that I plow/blow our subdivision road and residents with. Snow accumulates at the fresh air intake. The intake sucks the snow into the fresh air filter, getting the filter wet causing a condensation problem inside the cab..

This is a huge problem on long runs. What I did last year was carry 3 extra filter and changed them out when the condensation got so bad. I tried to duct tape off the outside filter intake and still had the issue, but not as bad. Driving with a window cracked or open is not a solution. snow blows into the cab. chemicals on the windows helps, but the entire inside of the cab is wet.. This condensation causes issues with everything freezing when you shut the unit down for the day or night....
    WHAT DO I DO???

2. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i assume it has heat/ ac run the ac condenser with the heat on no more problem!!!!

3. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Yes, it has heat and A/C I have tried that too, still the issue because the outside fresh air filter is saturated with water from the snow accumulation. I tried the heat with A?C and the firesh air duct taped, still a problem but not as bad. Local bobcat dealer has no solution...

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i have a solution, but you aren't going to like it, we mounted all our heaters inside the cabs so they circulate inside, we had our first heater mounted with the intake on the outside, but we had 2 problems with it, 1) what you are describing, with moisture coming in through the intake 2) on really cold days, we couldn't get it warm enough in the cab itself. Now what i am thinking is can you set it up so it pulls air from inside the cab somehow? maybe a intake tube down to a window? not sure how it would be done, but if you pull your air from the cab, and recirculate it, it well stay warmer and you won't have the problem with moisture.

5. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

here was my thought, you know how the guys that take their trucks in the mud have a snorkel from the carb air intake to the roof. Why not buy another metal slotted outside air intake filter retaining device, or whatever its called and fab a section of muffler pipe to make a snorkel say a foot high then 90 degree it backwards and install a KnM unoiled air filter onto the end of the pipe., and plug off the other vents, I think there are a total of 4 sections of slots, so plug 3. Maybe KnM is not the correct filter, its just what came to mind

I think this will stop majority of the snow that is getting to the outside filter element

The inside heater is a great idea, I am assuming that a heater will suck up voltage! I need all the voltage from the machine to run lights for night plowing

Here is the main issue, BOBCAT should step up and have a product that will accomplish this task. I don't think that I am the only one with this problem, just the person that brought it to every ones attention.

THOUGHTS??????????????

6. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Never had the problem out machine is dry and warm.. not sure maybe size/model difference..

Is it mainly cause of the snow blowing?

7. leon

leon Senior Member

condensation in cab

FWIW

Kubota solved this issue with the curtis hard cabs by doing it this way;
    they have a three speed fan and heat exchanger mounted below the left side of the dash board with diverters that blow the heated air all over the cab and dry the windows.

It diverts a portion of the engine coolant from the system and through the heat exchanger to heat the cabin and the operator.

The heater core has a valve to close off the flow during the warm months etc.

Another possible solution if the filter and exchanger are on the roof line is to install a sheet metal hood with a bottom draw opening to restrict the air flow to an inch of width across the inlet and slow down the snow flakes to where it will reduce the amount of water in the filter.

A vwery small turbo precleaner plumbed into the inlet air duct would also stop the snow from entering as the bowl would slow the air down and stop the flakes as the screen and air flow direction through the pre-cleaner would stop the snow from entering.

I am unsure how much water would collect but the precleaner bowl would slow it down and gravity would make it drop out.

just a thought anyway:waving:

8. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Leon, how is this any differnet than any other piece of heavy equipment, or vehicle for that matter. What you just explained is exactly what the OP currently has.

Rich, the majority of the condensation is coming from the operator, from both their breath and any moisture they carry into the cab with them (snowy boots, wet jacket, etc....)

The easiest solution proposed to me by others in the past is to simply stop breathing....... ;)

Honestly, I run with the windows cracked open at all times and make sure I don't let the cab get too hot that I start to sweat to make the problem even worse.

No matter what you do, you're going to need to get air exchanging in the cab one way or another. I understand that you can't simply crack your windows with your set-up without repercussions. The first thing I would try would be to make some kind of shroud (think truck "vent-shades" for instance) to deflect most of the snow from entering. If you've already tried the AC option already, I'm not sure there's much else you can do but vent the moist air out.

Good luck.

9. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Bruce
    This is casued whenever snow collects in the fresh are intake area. Bad design on BOBCATS part when in the snow. Snow collects - from falling snow, blowing with the blower or plowing powder snow. anything that caused snow to become airborn. Its like dust collecting on the bumber of a pickup or SUV....Attached is a quick photo of the machine. the snow clooects behind the cab infront of the motor cooling fan location. I have had a foot of snow on this area before. never caused the machine to overheat. different issue.

IMG_4231.jpg

10. leon

leon Senior Member

snow

Rich if your heater is set up like the Kubota three speed heaters it probably has a plugged core internally or externally with plugged fins, my dads neighbor told me the highest speed is too hot even in very cold weather working short sleeves.

I also for got they were set up like that Rich- a piece of sheet metal riveted/bolted above the inlet to the exterior of the skid loader body with a narrow slit for air entry will stop all that for sure if the heater core is not plugged.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  11. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I know where it is, I just don't get any build up there on the s175. I've got the feeling that in the large machines the intake is further away from the rad where it is sloped/some heat. that I get off the s175 that keeps the intake clear. Which is why I wondered if it had alot to do with the blowing of snow. I wish I could help but Not having the problem it's hard to say aside from putting something there to stop snow from sitting, while still letting air in.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Put a box around it and give enough space for snow to fall away before it gets to the intake.

13. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Leon, Thanks for the reply!

The heating unit. when I have the heater in HIGH I get extreamly hot, except my toes freeze go figure.

When I get into the unit, I try to get all the snow off me. take off the jacket and fold it inside out to trap the snow left on the jacket. I TOTALLY agree that bring in snow into the unit will cause the unit to condensate. If you crack the windows, which is a solution that works, I still get snow into the unit, which is just like it on your clothing.

Stop breathing!! I have tried this but I turn blue and start to feel funny

When i remove the wet air fliter, the filter is completely saturated. It takes alot of time with a hair drier to get it dry. This is done in the shop. When I install the dry filter, the condinsation goes away, until snows builds up again and the filter gets wet.

I got an idea, hire someone to do this and sit by the fire and drink WHISKEY!

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Rich, I realize I didn't explain this very well. What I meant is to attempt to make some kind of shroud at the front of your windows (outside) to keep snow from coming into the windows when they're cracked open. Maybe even insert a piece of foam like you'd find in a roof's ridge vent to assist in keeping the snow out.

BTW, I've found my filter wet in the past before as well. I just assumed it was getting wet from condensate running down the back window for hours on end?

Oh, and the whiskey solution would work well too.... :drinkup:

15. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I now understand the shroud thing on the side windows.. I will give this a try once we get snow

16. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

What about a plastic cover from the cab towards the round cross tube? You could run the plastic down the sides and the back also.

17. A&MLANDSCAPING

A&MLANDSCAPING Junior Member

i run all s300 and have never had a problem with any of them

18. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

thought of that, but the round cross tube moves, and that is where i strap on an extra set of change and a 2" pull rope, but great idea, me and the Bobcat dealer thought about just a cover from the cab slopped downward and resting under the round lift arm cross tube.

19. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

A&M, Thanks for the reply. do you run a blower, do you ever plow in drifting snow? This winter check out how much snow builds up in this area! you are doing something right!!!!

Another S300 question, do you have a hydraulic bobtach thingie? Have you ever broken the fittings off the ram? or busted the hose? Reply to my e-mail as this is not part of this topic. If so I would love to hear how you are fixing the ram and hose.matz@ltol.com

20. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have and s300 and I did experience this ploblem before but just thought it was because of getting in and out on a wet snowy day when shoveling walks ect ect. I did find that it fogs up a a fair bit some days so last year we used RainX defog for the inside of the cab and it doesnt fog up as bad. Crank the blower and keep the heat 3/4 I press the ac button also. The front 2 vents that are by your knees deflect down towards your feet. The vents behind your hips, the deflectors are off and we have a pc of cut big o drain pipe cut and wedged so that it blows the air up to the side windows and not on your elbows/back. We run the machine with the window cracked a tiny bit. the other option would be you could take off one of the clean out plates at the bottom of your feet but it will most likely just get filled with snow or a cold draft will freeze your feet. There is one other thing that I just thought of before I was going to hit post was that we do cover the machine in fluid film so the snow does slide off that back part and I do have a shovel bungied over that part behind the window, the shovel head actually would cover that part and then the handle sticks down and about 6 inches past the back engine door. Cheap solution might be a shovel with the handle off covered in fluid film bunjied over that part. Good luck.