1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

concrete vs. salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by KINNCO, Oct 25, 2008.

1. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

I looked but couldn't find the topic on the materials to use other than salt so not to damage the conrete and or kill the grass?

any help?

2. sherwin

sherwin Member

There are a lot of blended product that are easier on vegetation. Concrete, especially new can be damaged by any salt products. The only product I know of is calcium magnesium acetate, but it's real expensive.

3. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

concete is all new this summer.:eek:

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

use calcuim in the recommened amounts

i always see ppl applying the stuff way heavier than is needed. Its not suppost to melt snow in 3 mins time,.... you need to give it an hr to work , let the sun help you out

5. sherwin

sherwin Member

Agree with Elite Smith. Also try to get out there and remove the slush along with excess calcium, instead of just letting it sit.. Get it in writing that you are not responsible for any damage too.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

try to talk the owner into having the concrete sealed again before it gets cold

if the concrete is properly placed and sealed and more than 56 days old salt wont hurt it any more than older concrete

7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

a blend with lots of potash is what your looking for.