1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Concrete stains ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Tech LLC., Mar 24, 2008.

1. Lawn Tech LLC.

Lawn Tech LLC. Junior Member

I have a complex that we plow the drives and clear the walks by hand and use nothing but calcium on them. They are concrete and I use a S250 Bobcat with a Bobcat plow on the front, no buckets. Well everywhere we went with the skid is a rust color stain. This complex said that it has happened in the past but not every year. I had a brand new cutting edge from a local steel fabricator. I had a couple of concrete companies come out and none of them gave a matching answer. This stain apeared on new and old concrete. One answer I got was it was the shavings from the cutting edge that were still on the driveway were now rusting. I am baffleled and if I do not come up with the reason this happened I will be stuck cleaning 128 2 car diveways. Any help would be great.

LT:

2. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

I too have these rust colored stains. Get them almost every year. They will just faid away over time.

J

3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

sounds like rusting metal to me. just little shavings from the cutting edge of anything that went over it. try scrubbing it somewhere and see what happens if it comes out its just what i said. if it doesnt idk what it is.

we have had this happen with our blades on concrete before. and its a simple fix. power washer. or just let it rinse out with the spring rains.

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

If they can't deal with it (& if fades with out doing anything) I would switch to a plastic edge on the plow. Elimiate the problem. I have never run a steel edge on my bobcat plows, the down presure will tear up a driveway quick.

5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search. There is another thread about this. I posted pics to it.

When I got down on my hands and knees and really looked at it, it appered to me to be the stones used in the concrete. It wasn't from the edge but where the shoes ran time after time after time. It will go away on its own, I think.

Are little stones showing through or does it look like steel on the surface? Is it the entire blade width or just where the shoes are?

6. Lawn Tech LLC.

It is where the metal came in contact with the concrete, but the odd thing is that is not everywhere only on about 60% of the drives and not on the walks at all. It is in the streets but the city does the streets. There is no real pattern and this is the only place that this happened. Thanks for getting back with me. I will get down and take a closer look.

LT

7. Lawn Tech LLC.

For you guys that have had this happen to you, does it happen everywhere you plow concrete or just at certain jobs?

LT

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You can't stop that.

I know several guy who have tractor with plow they would put wood that fit all edge on plow then next day no rust on floor but rust on wood.

It easy is put thing under plow or bucket.

9. Neige

Neige Sponsor

It happens all the time when you plow with a steel blade on concrete. You shoveled your walkways thats why no problem there. Guys here have tried stainless steel blades, still makes marks just dos'nt rust after. You could go for rubber or HMW "plastic" will not get them as clean, but no more marks or rust. The more down pressure you put on your steel blade the worst it gets. It will fade somewhat, but does not go away. There are products you can use to remove the rust, but since its happened before to them, maybe they will let it slide

Good luck with that

10. Lawn Tech LLC.

It makes sense with more down pressure the marks are worse. We had a lot more ice this year than normal so we added the extra down pressure to get all the ice up. Damed if you do and damed if you don't. Get the ice removed or use a different cutting edge and the job will not be done as well but no stains. I think I will leave it up to the property manager.

Thanks,

LT