1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Concrete Sidewalk Deicer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ADBsnowremoval, Sep 23, 2012.

1. ADBsnowremoval

ADBsnowremoval Member

I am looking for a little help here. I am pretty confident that I am using the best/safest product for decing concrete sidewalks, but was looking for a little more additional information from you big guys out there. I currently use Mag pellets and have had great results, but is this really the best/safest product for concrete or should I be looking into something else? Thanks for any info.

2. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

Freeze -Thaw is the Biggest enemy to concrete.....Although you would not want to use ANY de-icer on 'New" Concrete.....Salt is no more harmful than Mag....In some studys Mag has been found to be More harmful than salt to concrete due to the Heat and rapid Thaw it causes....Properly Mixed, Finished and cured concrete doe's just fine with salt....

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

This has always been a long debated topic. Something I really need to begin to educate myself better on.

For now, many customers demand calcium chloride ice melt pellets on walkways. Something like Peladow. But where I can get away with it or the customers don't care either way, I use salt and have not had any problems.

4. badblue93

badblue93 Junior Member

Merrimacmill Are you getting the same clearing effects with Peladow. I am using it, per contract, for an entire lot on a commercial account. It seems that I am getting a better clearing effect with rock salt. The Peladow is great for melting packed snow but has little to no preventative on new falling snow and I can not get that lot to completely clear, even if applied to a fresh plowed lot.