1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Concrete questions?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but...

I am going to pave my salt bin this year and decided to use concrete. My question is how thick should it be poured.

I just met with a friend of a friend who pours alot of concrete on the side and got a quote for $1700 for a 18x24 pad. I don't need a base as I already have one, and the pile is already formed on 3 sides by mafia blocks. Does that price sound right to you? I checked last week and concrete is $74 a yard delivered.

Thanks for the help Bossman

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Asphalt would be a better choice I think, new, not long cured concrete will probably spall and turn to crap pretty quick, add scraping with a machine and it's bad, besides by my math it's only 8 yds, thats 600 bucks, he's gonna nail you 1100 bucks to pour and finish thats small space??? Doesn't seem like a real friendly price for a job where I'm sure he can have a truck back right up to the work area and he only has to form one edge........

3. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

It's way to late to pour concrete and have salt sit on it. You need minimum of a year for it to cure. If you put salt on it it eats the concrete and leaves terrible pits.

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I think that's a fairly good chunk of cash for a "friend" to be charging for something this simple. I'd suggest snapping lines on your mafia block on teh 3 sides, set the front form, and pour yourself. You don't need anything too fancy here.

Call your local ready-mix plant, tell tham exactly what you're trying to do, see what they suggest for a good mix to hold it's own against the salt, and post here with any questions.

IMO, I'd opt for a mix with probably 20-25% Flyash, air, maybe evven some mid-range water reducer. Cover the slab shortly after finishing it so it cures slowly for a few days, let it air out for 30+ days, and put 2-3 apps. of a Siloxane sealer on it.

Maybe Matson will show up & give you some crazy mix design that will take a quad load of salt in a few days..................... :drinkup:

5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

What do you need me for Joe...Looks like a good mix....I would tell them to add some Fiber Mech to the mix.....Put a little pitch to that slab.Back to front for run off and your good to go.....You have plenty of time....the 2-3 apps of sealer is key.....:salute:

6. jomama45

Darn, you'r efast Todd. You must be lurking, or searchign your name on a daily basis...... :laughing: :drinkup:

7. Matson Snow

Concrete spalls and turns crappy for a couple of reasons.....A Crappy mix or A Crappy Finisher,......A properly mixed and finished slab will out last asphalt any day for this application.....JMO:waving:

8. Matson Snow

My name is NOT Mark Oomkes.....:laughing::laughing:..No lurking or Trolling...Just in the right place at the right time....

9. jomama45

Nice to hear from you Todd, it's been a while. Plus, I can't let you get the last word in, you've cought up to my post count in no time........ :laughing:

Hope all is weel with you this summer....... :drinkup:

10. Matson Snow

Last Word...Post #632.......:eek:..:laughing:

11. jomama45

Time for you to log out for today Todd, it's gotta be your bedtime................ :laughing:

Oh, look over there......................................... FREE BEER TODD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinkup:

12. Matson Snow

:laughing::laughing:...It is time for bed....3am wake up...Pouring a 500 yard Bridge Deck .starting at 4........Oh look .....Post #633.....

13. jomama45

Glad to hear it, I've only got to pour 8-9 yards tommorrow. Sometime, I'll have to talk to you about a 520+ yd. machine base pour we did last year.

Bossman, sorry for being the culprit in taking this off track.

As for the thickness, it depends on what you're loading and piling with. I'd probably opt for 6" thickness in case you end up with a wheel loader some day. If you have any more questions along the way, fire away.............

14. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys,

I'm no concrete expert, just sharing my expeirience. I've seen well cured unsealed concrete never wear when salt is stored or used on it. New concrete on the other hand I've seen bad bad things....... That price still seems a bit high to be friendly though......

15. jomama45

No sweat, I agree with what you're saying. We did the poured walls for my old plow "boss" years ago, and he went with an asphalt floor for similar reasons. Unfortunately, it didn't hold up to his 2.5-3 yard loaders, because the base under it stayed wet through-ut the winter & has rutted fairly bad.

As for the price, I agree as well, but think the quote for just the concrete was cheap, probably $20 a yard cheaper than I pay here!!! :eek:

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Seems Jomama & Matson covered it for you.....I will add that some sort of wire mesh or rebar is always good to have in outside slabs. I also think that the fiber mesh is a good idea, simply for extra "surface strength".

$74/yd delivered is cheap for 4000psi white rock mix...which is your standard exterior mix for outside resi/small commercial work round here. But that might not be what you got quoted for?..?..?

17. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

you want a minimum of a 4000 PSI concrete for ANY exterior flat work. and you are also going to want to give it a solid 27 days to properly cure before you use any type of sealer.

18. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Well now you guys got me thinking I could do this on our own. :mechanic:

I am not sure how I want to handle the front of this slab. I figured 6" thick and it already has a great back to front picth and even a little sloap towards the front right corner.

My question is do I form it up so its flat on the front end and build up the front step with crushed limestone (so when I run over it with the backhoe I don't crumble the edge) or do I dig down and create some sort of transition from gravel lot to concrete salt pad?

Also I called my local rental house and they rent a "bull float" and some sort of other larger float. IDK??

Since we're not taking this thing to the fair, do you pros think this ploy jockey can finish this pad good enough to make it last a few years?

Also I've got a chop saw so if i need to cut expansion joints I can.

BTW Matson, 500 yds of concrete!! You had better have a few :drinkup:

Thanks for all the help Bossman

19. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

concrete

if you are not experienced it may be a wise idea to hire it done. get a few different bids.after 18 years of driving a redi-mix truck i have seen alot of people with good intentions and little know how lose it. cement can get away from you quickly if you don't know what you are doing. good luck.

20. Matson Snow

Anything is possible...You need Jomama to chim in and give you tips on finishing...I supply the concrete...I have a limited knowledge on finishing...I can do it..But not like the Pros....The one thing i have learned over the years in DIY concrete is you can never have enough people to help out..The more the better.....:drinkup: