1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CONCRETE Less then 3mo Old - Anything I can use???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by millsaps118, Dec 29, 2009.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I have a new commercial account that needs ice control on their concrete sidewalks that were just poured in October. I told the manager that it is NOT recommended to use any ice melt/salt products for at least a year on new concrete.

Just thought I'd ask if there is anything out that would work, and not void the warranty if they ever had an issue with the sidewalks.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. mksuwndr

mksuwndr Junior Member

small amounts of potasium

3. millsaps118

I'll have to check into that....thanks

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Salt, it keeps the concrete guys busy.!:D

5. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh boy, I hope there's better info in here than a few weeks ago with the same topic. :dizzy:

As a concrete contractor, I'll tell you there is only ONE product that is accepted by most industry associations, etc....... Non-treated torpedo sand.

Others are going to tell you to use sodium, calcium, mag chloride, etc...., but I'm sure they wont be there to back you up if it fails.

Whatever you decide to use, I'd recommend passing it by the GC of the building site for ahis approval just ot CYA.

6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Was it sealed?

7. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

You might have to just explain to them that de-icers WILL damage their concrete but ultimately it is their decision whether or not the liability or the concrete's lifespan is more important. Maybe a urea based de-icer?

8. millsaps118

Thanks for the reply guys......I told the manager that I won't even touch the side walks with any deicing products cuz, come spring when it starts to pit/pop I'm not paying for the repairs. I know if the GC gets a call in the spring about the concrete damage he's gonna laugh and say your SOL go talk to your snow plow guy.

The manager insisted I, " need to use something" and I told him I could put down a light coat of straight sand for traction, it's better then nothing.

He looked at me like I was crazy then said "Well then, will you pay for my carpets and floors to be cleaned and the parking lot sweeping in the Spring?"

I looked at him back like HE was crazy and said, "Sure.... but I'm going to charge you 100K just to sand your walks for the rest of this season!"

After a couple moments of silence, I gave him 2 options. 1) Roll the dice and use a ice melt product, either liquid or dry and sign a waiver of liability. 2) Use Sand.

He walked away and told me he'll get back to me.:(

9. millsaps118

IDK....as soon as I found out it was new concrete, I already made up my mind that I wasn't putting anything down.