1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Concrete Damage-Liabilty

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sno4U, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I have 1 client with an exposed aggregate driveway. I have concerns using my steel edge 8.5ft V-plow on the driveway that I may cause damage and be held liable. I talked to the client twice in the past and both times he told me the installer told him a plow would not damage it.
    I was plowing it recently and seeing as we've had very cold temps. one edge of the concrete has heaved a little and my blade caught it. It "shaved" the edge a bit. Probably only about 3-4 " along one corner.The client has never been a "problem" before but i fear he may say something about this.
    What do your contracts agreements say about such situations?
    Also, as long as we're talking about damage; what do they say about minor turf damage/ our first storm was a heavy wet one and there was NO frost in the ground-there was some damage. What do contracts say about that?
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a standard damage clause in my contracts that exclude my liability for any damage for unforseen objects, or any damage from the actual duties included in snowplowing. Also before I salt I make my customers sign a waiver saying that they take full resposibility for the action and or reaction of the salt and any damage that it might due to thier property
  3. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I think I answered this question before maybe it was for you.If I was only doing exposed agg drives I would have a rubber cutting edge.Would I put a steel blade on a exposed agg driveway no way in this world unless they signed a waiver and I had a witness.You might already know this but all exposed agg is just pea gravel with sealer on top and a steel blade is going to break or chip that pea gravel.If I had someone wanting a exposed agg driveway done I would charge them more and it would go on the sidewalk crews list to be done with snow blowers.My contract states I am not responsible for damage to concrete driveways or streets that are in bad shape such as cracks,missing concrete,pot hole patch.But if you have a new drive or new curbs and I tear them up I will pay no questions asked.I never put a plow on a driveway around here that is 2 cars long and 2 cars wide the guys out snow blowing do them you have to have a long driveway for me to put a plow on it.Plows don't get the drive as clean as a snowblower they seem to get paked down and it turns into ice just a pain in the rear.

4. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I personally would reccomend them to another plower in the area who uses a rubber cutting edge, explain that you are just simply concerned, but would be happy to service them in any other ways possible (landscaping, other snow removal, etc.). It's all about the karma.....
  5. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

In my residentials I include free repair in the spring of any lawn damage caused by plowing. I know it seams like a pain in the azz but I figure it into the cost of the driveway. Usually about $5 -$10. It keeps the people happy because they think they are getting something for free. Plus we don't always damage everyones lawn so its like free money. As to the concrete part of the question I have a damage waver in my contract. Some damage is to be expected due to the type of equipment being used.