1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

computers in trucks

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by potato chip, Jan 2, 2007.

1. potato chip

potato chip Junior Member

what brand , brand of wireless card and what type of holder
  2. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i would run my apple ibook with a verizon card and just throw it on the seat...or get one of those little desk things....i dont use mine in my truck...i was runnin my dell pda for a while with a verizon card....thing worked just as good as my laptop...
  3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I place laptops in some rigs with verizon cell phones to get the net in the trucks plus some locations have wireless hookups so they can log on plus they can have dvd player while waiting for work..
  4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I do okay using my PDA most of the time, with my laptop in the back for WiFi hotspots, but if you needed to have it with you, Verizon's wireless network is great. It isn't cheap by any means, but it is the faster one out there.
  5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Here's my setup in the 96 2500:

400W power inverter hard wired in, mounted under the center seat on the driveshaft hump.

"CoolPad" - 3/4" thick or so, "pad" that you set your laptop on top of, it has two cooling fans in it that suck hot air from the bottom of your laptop and exhaust it out the rear of the pad. Have yet to use it much so no feedback on it yet seems like a good concept as I had problems with my laptop overheating in hot summer sitting in the truck.

Dell Inspiron 2200 series laptop w/Microsoft Streets & Trips w/GPS (GPS receiver also hard wired into truck, with receiver on the rearview mirror top of windsheild). Laptop has internal network card that picks up pretty good from any Wi-Fi hotspot around town or i borrow internet from any connection i can find when i need it. Usually don't have to go far to find an open connection around here. I use a simple program called NetStumbler that was a free download and it instantly locates connections and shows signal strength, accessibility, data transfer speed, etc..

Cheap Lexmark printer, think i paid $30 for it, sits on backseat in the corner, also hard wired in. Super handy for estimates, invoices, etc. on the spot.

Peice of plexiglass velcro strapped to the center console of my Dodge with velcro peices stuck to it, velcro computer to this "mount" works awesome and very cheap, simple and effective. To adjust angle just pick up computer and put it where you want it. Only 3 wires plug into the laptop, and I made a harness for them so they're nice, neat and tidy. Power, Audio output, and USB. I ordered an extra AC power cord with the computer and put that one in the truck hard wired into the harness. The audio output is wired into my stereo so I can play any of the 13GB's of music off my laptop right into the truck. The USB wire goes to a hidden USB hub that the printer, GPS receiver, cooling pad, and digital camera connection cable are plugged into. If I can't find or use my DC cell phone charger for my Motorola Razor phone, i can also plug it into the digital camera computer cable and charge it off of that.