1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

compressing older trip springs

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by nichols, Nov 30, 2006.

1. nichols

nichols Member

Hi,

I have an older blade (pre powdercoating era) that I just painted. I'm looking for a way to compress the trip springs. These are the springs that don't have the hole through the top of the spring "bar", for lack of a better term.

If there isn't an easy way, I'll probably weld up a contraption to accomplish this, but I'm hoping I won't have to. :D I've seen mention of the Fisher spring compressor tool, but the only one I've seen works with the new style springs, and not the old style.

Thanks!

Chris

2. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I am not sure I am familiar with the "older spirngs". So there is no flat bar going though the center of the spring and then through the "plate" welded parallel with the ground to the back of the plow? How does the spring stay in? Any chance you could get a pic? I just redid my springs this fall but I think mine are the "newer springs" even though the plow is around 15 years old. I used a spring compressor that I rented from Checker auto parts. It was not exactly the right tool but it did work. It was a bit dangerous though because it was not right. I took my time and was very careful but it did work.

3. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Home Made Compressor

Hi
    This is compressor I made for all Fisher plows, it even works with the plow on the truck!

You'll notice that it slides. I use a 4-ton porta power with a 6" extension as the Jack to compress the spring ( Not Shown)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. nichols

nichols Member

Well, I checked out your description of this tool posted in another thread, and then checked out the pictures, and broke out the welder and some scrap stock and fabbed one of these up tonight. I'm not going to post pictures, because compared to yours, it's pretty fugly. :) I took some creative liberties because I was a little tool limited. One of these days, I really need to get a hydraulic punch...

Anyway, long story short, this thing kicks major ass. It took me about an hour and a half to fab it up, and then about ten minutes to put the springs on. Totally sweet. I don't have a Porta power, so I removed the 16 ton jack from my tubing bender and used that instead. It worked AWESOME!!

If anyone in/around Worcester or Framingham in Massachusetts needs to borrow it, let me know!

Thank you SO MUCH for posting the description and pictures!! Hell, if you're in my area anytime soon, I owe you a beer or two for sure.