1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Complicated Driveways - Input Please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by absolutely, Sep 30, 2015.

1. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We have approximately 18 driveways in this upscale neighborhood. While some are easier than others, most are very difficult to do with plow truck and a back blade. The biggest problem we have is there is hardly any place to pile it. We are not allowed to push across street. Turnarounds get filled up fast and ends of drives get skinnier and skinnier. Thinking an F series mower with snowblower (used) trying to stay under 20k at least for this year.

Thanks in advance.

Grove overview.jpg

Grove 2 drives paint.jpg
  2. NThill93

NThill93 Member

any reason a skid steer won't work?
  3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Push to street then pile on their front lawn
  4. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

It would work but our skid is tied up on other jobs. Really only want to spend 20k on something used. No skids around here for that with heat and enclosed cab.
  5. TheXpress2002

TheXpress2002 2000 Club Member
    from Canton

I dont want this to come off wrong but there's a lot more room than you think. Utilize the curves of the drives.....Utilize the sides of the main drives adjacent to the circular drives....Like the previous poster, send it to the end and push it into the front yards.

I don't see where a back blade is useful. A simple 250 with a V plow would work just fine.
  6. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We do that but it becomes a lengthy procedure and we still run out of room. Jumping curbs suck, lawn repair, sprinkler heads. I think a blower of some sort is our best option.
  7. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We have done that for the past 10 years. Back blade is 2 years old, helps alot pulling away from garages and when turning on drives. Everything drifts and just about every year we are back with our skid damaging lawns, plants, edging, lighting ect.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  8. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Most of these curves get pilled up fairly soon, then the drifts start coming in. We run out of room fast. Looking for suggestions on a used blower around 20K is what we are looking to spend.
  9. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I have to agree with Ryan (express) looks like lots of area to push snow. The main drive straight back and or windrow away from the house. The curved drive push from both sides to the outside corner and lift the plow as you come to the lawn. The way I look at it you have 2 choices, charge a little more to offset for the repairs in the spring or spend 20 grand on a blower and do a nice clean job with something that I am guessing you will have to trailer to the job every snowfall. Also mark the sprinkler heads and other hidden obstacles with stakes or flags so you don't hit them.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

under 20K , get a jeep very maneuverable, if your running out of space your not pushing the snow back far enough to start. first storm I push the snow back well over the length of my jeep. You got LOTS of room on the picks you showed.
  11. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Compact tractor with a snowblower might work for you and you might be able to get something under 20.
  12. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Plowing driveways with a plow truck can be tough at times pending the driveways. We do almost 45 driveways and 26 business's, for me I would love to have a bobcat toolcat with a blower or tractor with blower but I just can't justify the purchase right now. I think the blower is the way to go for driveways, but right now I use what we got.
    If you have the money I would go for a machine with blower.
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

A snowblower is your best bet. I'm guessing these people are the type that don't want to see a truck pushing a pile 20-30' into their lawns. It wouldn't fly around here. Neither would the repairs every year.

I know you want used, but what about a 1 Series JD, I have been thrilled with mine. Might not be the most efficient, but it will work. Put a small back blade on it and blow the rest.

Mine was a bit over $20k with a blower, broom and cab\heat.

Long term, a tractor with an inverted blower is your best bet.
  14. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Mark, this is what got me looking last year into the John Deere X series. We definitely cannot drive on the lawns as some have suggested.
  15. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Here is another picture of 3 others. It becomes very hard to find places when you cant damage, shrubs, put snow to close to house or to high at roads because then the complain. Does not help that most turn arounds have a tree 5 feet off the edge. They pay well, no windshield time, we are just try to find what other people are doing in these situations.

Snow Grove 3.jpg
  16. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

3 more. I'm dizzy just thinking about it. and that's only half of them. The one with the pool has about an 8' grade elevation to the garage. Makes it even more of a challenge.

Snow Grove 4.jpg
  17. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I agree the blower is the best tool for that job but can you justify spending that kinda money for a few drives.
  18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Don't bid it. You're not ready...until you change your outlook to a can do attitude.

You have plenty of room there.
  19. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We have them, have been doing most for over 6 years. Yes we make it work. Do we waste a lot of time, yes. looking at more efficient way and seeing if anyone has a similar project. Trust me we run out of room fast when we get our liquid concrete 6" storms.
  20. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Your best solution and most efficient way has been mentioned several times. Room will not be your problem with a blower. You'll also stand out from your competition when you go that route.