1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

complete newbie here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by countrybiggen, Aug 23, 2012.

1. countrybiggen

countrybiggen Junior Member

WELL FRESH OUT OF THE ARMY AND ALL THE DEPLOYMENTS. SO NOW TO BECOME AN ESTABLISHED BUSINESS OWNER DOING WHAT I LOVE TO DO. SO IM GONNA BE A DRY SPONGE AND SOAK UP ALL THE KNOWLEDGE I CAN FROM YALL.
    I HAVE ALREADY PUT IN 2 BIDS ON SOME BIG ACCOUNTS. I DID SO USING THE KNOWLEDGE IVE READ ON HERE SO I THIS WAY THERE WOULDNT BE ANY EXTREME UNDER BIDDING GOING ON JUST HONEST COMPETITION.

THE EQUIPMENT IS
    DODGE 1500 WITH A 5.9 WITH A 2500 DRIVE TRAIN
    A JOHN DEERE GARDEN GARDEN TRACTOR WITH A HUGE SNOW THROWER
    A WHEEL HORSE GARDEN TRACTOR WITH A MINI PLOW TO MANAGE SIDEWALKS
    28 IN SIMPLICITY WALK BEHIND SNOW THROWER
    THEN A S10 BLAZER WITH CUSTOM 6 FT PLOW TO MANAGE THOSE TIGHT SPACES

YES I THINK THAT THE PLOWS ON A BLAZER,RANGER, JEEPS NOT INCLUDING WAGONEERS OR THE CUSTOM JEEP TRUCKS ...THE OLDER ONES.

I HAVE SOME IDEAS OF HOW TO MAKE A CUSTOM SALT/SAND/GRAVEL SPREADER. I HAVE AN UNLIMITED SUPPLY OF 55 GAL. DRUMS SO THINKING ABOUT DOING SOMETHING THOSE SOME HOW,

GLAD TO BE HERE AND CANT WAIT TO LEARN

COUNTRYBIGGEN ussmileyflag

2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Welcome to plowsite. First off I'd like to say thank you for your service to our country.

As far as equipment goes...I'm not sure what your financial status is as far as starting this business up, but if I were you I would go buy a used or new plow for your Dodge. Every big plow manufacturer makes one that will fit. You will be much better off with this than you will a custom plow on your Blazer. Not only will you have a nicer set up but it will boost your companies image. You can keep the Blazer for a backup. I would also look for a decent used spreader for your truck. You can pick up an older Buyers that will slide into your reciever hitch.

Not trying to tell you how to run your business just shooting out some ideas.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Another question ,did you plow before?

4. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Question what was you mos? I have list of mods for your blazer that you will need. Or at least put some thought into doing.
    1. Through out that small alternater and get your self a 145amp one from a 03 suburban with a 5.3 flexfuel. And a 96" belt its a plug and play.
    2. Turn your Tbars 3 times DONOT MAX THEM OUT AT 5 TURNS.
    3. Take off your front pump stops. Get some off a late 90's full size truck from the back.
    4. Do the big 3.
    All vehicles are 1500

5. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

And have fun. I'm running a 2000 blazerZR2 with a snoway 24D :) and God loves the infantry

6. countrybiggen

My mos was 91BR10
    But I was attached to our scouts and mortars. I only worked on 4 truck through out a of my deployments. The blazer isn't mine its my brother in-laws ...yeah. Well I went to buy the 1500 last night and well we will just say it didn't go through due to his actions prior to me getting there towards my sister. So now km looking at getting something for my 2010 2500 4 door long bed.....yeah its a huge beast. It's a custom cab order so the cab is just huge and the guy who ordered it had order it to be plow ready so the mounts wires and plumbing ...so thinking I'll put something on it.

I have plowed before I managed the plow operTions when I was stationed in Alaska. Completely different ball game there oh wow is it.

COUNTRY BIGGEN

7. countrybiggen

Yes I have I managed all of the snow removal on base in Alaska

8. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Welcome to plow site ! Sound like you have a good start but I'm a sure you can find a salter cheeper then making one, JMO

9. countrybiggen

yeah thats what im understanding, also is salt, rock, and sand a good mix to spread all at once?

10. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

Welcome to plow site and thank you for your service..

First you said you went after 2 big accounts ?? do you have the equipment to do it...

When it comes to snow... always plan for disaster...(equipment breakdown etc)

Starting out i think you would be better served getting several smaller account that on big account...If a big account drags it feet on paying it can really hurt , so don't put all your eggs in one basket.

make sure you haver the proper insurance and sert you company up to insulate yourself against lawsuits...

good luck, and have fun....

11. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

No advice from me..just a ... "Thank you for your service to the USA"
    and good luck with your business.

12. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I have used rock in the past, but lately I've been useing floor dry insead of rock.

13. countrybiggen

Oh the kitty litter stuff. How is the pricing for that though.

14. mouth

mouth Junior Member
    from Maine

Thank you for your service for our Country, and good luck with your business

15. branchoutshrub

branchoutshrub Junior Member

Thank you for your service. Have a great snow season!

16. countrybiggen

Thank you all. Now to find somebody that's close to Niles that could help me out.

17. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

why are you yelling?

18. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

It's a bad habit he picked up when he hung around us 19 Delta'sThumbs Up

19. countrybiggen

Hahaha sorry didn't mean to come across as if I was yelling lol. Uhm actually I type in caps lock when my phone wants to ....darn touch screens. But yes my delta boys and have very strong ties seeing how I was with them on every raid and breach. I miss themm all very much.

COUNTRY BIGGEN