1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

complaints

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clark lawn, Feb 15, 2010.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i have had alot of people complain about there drives in the last week, more than i ever have in 17 years. biggest complaint is 1st the drive is to narrow, and 2nd the piles are to big.

the drives are narrow because we got 22-26 inches of snow in 12 hours followed by 8" 2 days later and then another 4" a couple days after that. the sides of the drives are up to the windows of the trucks right now, there is no wayto make them any wider. same with the piles there is just no were to put the snow, people just cant understand that. If i can drive a dump truck with a 8.5 foot blade down your drive you should be able to get your can around in your car. and they are calling for another 4-8 by tomarrow afternoon.

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like a great opportunity to upsell some loader/skidsteer work.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You just need to tell them there isn't much you can do about it unless they want you to come in with a bobcat and stack the piles further back in the yard. Other than that your not god, and don't control the weather.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

A nice big snowblower might be able to widen them for an additional charge.

5. clark lawn

from NE ohio

tried that they dont want to pay that kind of money they all seem to think i should be able to just push it anywere with my trucks.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

See what happens when you don't get a lot of snow for a few years ,they forget.Just next time try a little harder to push back the approaches so they can see pulling out.

7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

even a big hand snowblower would help throw the snow back, but make sure your customers understand you won't be doing this until you get a good break in the weather.

8. procut

procut Senior Member

I would just try to explain the situation.

9. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Clark... "Obviously you didn't pile snow in the correct place initially. Next time, send some better trained personnel."

It's the same all over... the above comment from (sorry ladies) a female... brand new board member and instant snow removal expert.

10. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

All driveways should be staked at the beginning of the season, problem solved.

11. clark lawn

from NE ohio

they are staked and were clear edge to edge just the edges got so high that we could not keep it clear to the edges. we have had snow on the ground since the end of december. itgot warm enough to melt it off the lawns in mid jan but it didnt touch the piles. its just a few drives really that are bad they are full of curbs with islands in the middle.

12. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

ive had a few clients ask me to do something about the piles, they asked nicely so i obliged. but they just dont realize you cant angle a truck properly further up the driveway so you dont tear their lawn. our edges have gotten pretty high as well and we get a bit of roll off but not that bad as you.

13. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Did you say this to your customers?

Only way to improve this for the customers is for them to pay you an upcharge to haul away or blow the snow, or wait it out and hope for an early spring.

14. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like people just need something to b!tch about. I just tell them there is no room for the snow anywhere else. What do you want me to do with the snow take it to my house:dizzy:. Deal with it people you live in Ohio...it snows here....alot. It will melt in the spring. I had a lady b!tch last year that her dogs had no room in the back yard because my piles were to big.....like I can help it. Do you think I ordered all this snow?
    What is wrong with people?

15. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I wanna live where you live! 28" in 12 hours, that's like 2.5" per hour, that's like hittiing each lot 14 times. Which iam sure is only posssible if you have 1 or 2 lots that were small

16. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

you must train your guys better, use "space management", there is plenty of room down there around the corner, over the hill, across the bridge, between those buildings.

17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Why don't you just angle your plow full right or full left and push the edges into the lawn a few feet? Oh, and don't forget to charge extra.

18. RTEnt

RTEnt Member

I think that what we as contractors all need to understand is that we can never keep everbody happy. Although we havent had any big storms in our area this year I have clients complain about geting through an inch or 2 of snow. Its a cold miserable time of year and people are just generally pi$$ed off.

I had 2 neighbors call after 1 storm. The first lady saying our service has been terrible and the other saying its the best its ever been.......figure that out.

For you guys dealing with big snow piles, its a fact of dealing with big snow falls. Its a lose lose situation, either you bottleneck the driveway or you do significant lawn damage.

Bottom line is the only people that will ever truly understand are people that have operated snow removal equipment.

19. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Next year just remember and puch piles back farther in the yard to begin with. We have alot of piles full truck lengths into yards right now and still not enough room. We hav been asked by a few to come with the skidloaders and move them back or stack them higher
    Some we are just going to go do and send the bill. Most will understand for those that don't we will work it out.

20. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

So you didn't start by pushing the piles back far enough. don't pile the snow at the end of the drive, pile it part way up the drive. explain again why your drives are to narrow?