1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Complain to gm !!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Going Commercial, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

Just My Opinion !!! I can not believe how many of us GM owners of trucks are having problems with our trucks overheating when we put a plow on. I posted a thread on 11/21/08 with my situation on my 2005 Chevy 2500 hd , plow prepped , that was overheating the day I had the plow put on from the dealer. My truck was 5 months out of warranty. The dealer wanted $260.00 to install a heavy duty fan clutch. I complained to GM and settled to pay a $100.00 to the dealer. I still do not feel I should have had to pay anything. My point here is not to complain about spending the $100, I am not cheap. It is to demand that GM and others honor what they sell and stand behind what they make. When we buy a truck for a specified reason such as : plow prepped, towing package, hd, or certain payload capacity we should expect it to perform those duties. When it does not than we should let them here about it, in this case GM. My dealer played dumb about the fan clutch until I made them aware of it by learning about it on plowsite, despite the fact of a service bulletin put out by GM. For all you guys who are having truck problems with newer trucks or expired warranties (within reason PLEASE) I strongly urge you to complain to GM. Nobody is going to bail you out but yourself. Make them accountable and remember You Are Their Customer By Choice And Could Go Somewhere Else !!!

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

So your truck was out of warranty and you want them to fix it for free? Didn't you know when the warranty was up?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

He does has a point about this. For what you pay for a truck everything on it should be heavy duty.If they sell you a plow prep package it should have the upgraded fan it because they know it will over heat.

4. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

Yes my warranty was up in July. My truck had 30,000 miles on it and I never had a plow on it. The truck temp never went over 210 under any circumstance. I bought the plow from the dealer installed. I overheated within the first 10 miles after picking it up. The dealer had a 2006 3500 Dump in the garage for the same problem only differance is I did not loose my coolant.

5. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

better complain quick....the might go belly up...lol

6. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

Thats one of the reasons they are going belly up, they have been cutting corners on things and making stupid mistakes instead of keeping there quality up. One example my 08 LMM was puking water through the roof clearnce light into the cab with not even 1k miles on it and bolts in the dash were loose.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's not a corporate problem, that's a fine American UAW worker slackinng off.

8. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I know but it pissed me off that you spend so much money on a truck and the thing is back at the dealer before you even fill it up for the first time.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

How can you tell if It has been updated on a used Trek??? What can you look for to see if It's the correct fan ??? I do agree that a auto manufacturer should stand behind there product(s)......

11. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

I don't know how to tell the difference but the hd fan clutch the dealer put in my 2005 2500 hd was part # 15710101. The dealer also told me there was no difference in cost between the hd fan clutch and the updated one. I hope this helps.

12. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Put your plow on and drive around a little bit.... If it overheats and coolant level etc are all in check, you jmore than likely don't have the updated one.

13. RichG53

I haven't noticed any over heating Issues has of YET.....I was just asking if there is any way to tell if It has been updated ???? What to look for ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

14. lunatic81

lunatic81 Junior Member

Man I just taped up my entire grill on my 06 3500 to keep the temp up to normal operating temperature. I'm not doubting you, because when I first put mine on too, the truck over heated, I just figured it was because it was 60 degrees outside. Now that its cold out, I haven't had any problems. I'm with you on paying alot of money and getting crap. That's how I feel with every new truck purchase. It seems like the technology gets better, but the trucks get worse.

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Tape? Why didn't you just get a winter front?

16. lunatic81

lunatic81 Junior Member

Winter front, in these current economic times? Don't you know the country is in a recession, and you're just blowing money?

This is my first year, and I was concerned that with the plow I may not need the tape. Throwing the tape in the trash will be a lot easier than that $50 winter front!

17. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Just cut some 4'' holes in your plow and you'll be fine.:)

18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Wow, really..................you're blaming the recession on being able to or choosing to spend $50 on an item some find necessary for their truck? You'd sh!t if you knew the amount of money I and others here blow on things deemed unnecessary or b/c it doesn't suit what's acceptable for economic growth! I understand your reasoning for giving it a try first, but to point fingers about the recession, I hope you're joking. It's not my first year and I can guarantee you I'll make enough to be able to pinch off the extra few bucks if need be, that's for sure. Funny too, I've had one (w/f) for my last few trucks and have yet to put any of them on!

19. lunatic81

lunatic81 Junior Member

Sorry if it didn't come across well in type. I was just kidding around. The real issue was that I wasn't really sure if I would need it or not with the plow. When I was hauling my skid steer without the plow the engine wasn't getting all the way up to operating temps. I figured once the plow was on, it would have no problem heating back up, which is what most people are saying here. So if that's the case, I'll just pull the tape off, and no money wasted. If it looks like something that would do me some good, I'll make the investment.

Don't feel bad, I'm sure we've all blown tons of money on stuff other people thought were unnecessary......and for the record I blame Bush for the recession....

20. RichG53

Don't blame Bush.... Cheney made him do It...Some one asked Cheney how It felt being second in command...(READY)..He said go ask Bush ...HA! HA! HA! ..