1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Competition...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redman6565, Feb 9, 2009.

1. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

DO you guys actually know the competition in your area? i was just wondering because i see outrageously overpriced number thrown around on here and was just asking how many of you guys actaully have competition in your area? maybe you don't have as much and i can feel better about my situation or maybe my market area is so beat to hell..idk which is i'm asking. but it seems to me, i charge maybe .75% and get 200% more snow. now i know in my little town of Brockport, which isn't big at all (population of 8,000) has 6 large companies and god knows how many small guys, so my competition is fierce. we're all pavers, construction companies or one extremely large landscaper, so we have equipment that must stay busy. again maybe my market area is beat to all hell or maybe you guys just don't have much competiton, which is it?

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

a ton of competition here ranging from solo ops to big companies with 100's of trucks (mostly subbed)

our prices are absolutely disgusting compared to some numbers ive seen thrown around on here. same thing goes for lawn care. for what others in a different area can get 45-50 a cut for we have to squeeze by with 25-35 depending on what services you offer.

we are fully insured, licensed etc... do things by the book, and then you have joe schmoe with a riding tractor that goes around and undercuts everybody.

3. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

it's only going to get worse the, the way this economy is going, all these people being lay off will do anything to make money to pay bills, I know this because when I was 8years old my old man did not have job and he went around are neigborhood with are lawn mower and mowed lawns for like $10 to $15 a yard!!! untell the ##@ rep in the us congress and senate get off there high horse and help structure a real bill that will help get people working again it will only be worse then it was in the 30's I look at some of the O's Bill on line and ua there is some wastefull spending but most of it will create JOBS, I like how the leader of The RNC said yesterday the rd construction will not create substanable JOBS thats just one example of there stupidaty on what create jobs, once the economy gets back on track people start spending money on gas means more State rd tax money to keep rd construction going DA!!! Or am I a ****** on thinking that way. these Jack @#$ REP keep coming up with 1+1=3 when they are doing math . WTF
    IT take's steel to re due bridges do nt it !!! steel plants right now are down 67% an more in production right now !! A nother tax credit is only a shot in the arm and last time that did nothing to jump start the economy and that was the big idea of the year for the REP's NO NO that makes to much since JMO And rant today!!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Never ending as far as the eye can see.
    Some large companies that sub out everything and have the numbers so cheap (or so it seems) until the bill shows up and they line item everything. The number will seem the same, but then the sidewalk clearing bill lists (one cube truck, 1 atv, 1 hand shoveler, 1 salt guy, plus the cost of salt per pound) I had a customer ask if I'd match one of the larger guys bid a few years back, said sure and then subbed the property back to the large guy. Gave me a education in how then did things.
    Lots of little guys, some do a great job, a few just bought a truck because we get snow and all plow guys make tons of money.
    I have a few places that hardly pay to show up, but I've been doing them for years. My friend makes more per hr. subbing than it's worth for me to clear 3 of my own properties.

5. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

Competition heating up a little around here, our lawns still start at a 40.00 base plowing hasn.t changed much, my cheapest drive is 20.00 which is a garage on the street and just a swipe or two to remove town bank, rest start at 30.00. BTW I too have insurance and overhead., but you are right in this economy guys (and gals) will be hauling lawn mowers and shovels in the trunks of their cars to try to make a buck. Who needs insurance when you have little or nothing to lose,

6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusic:gunsfiring:No such thing as subbing inmy little town of 8000 but a lot of competition especially new companies wanting to get a peice of the action

7. PTSolutions

we have been lucky that gas has stuck under $2 a gallon this whole winter. if it was what we were paying in the summer, we would have not picked up the senior citizen program, kept our 30 or so clients that weve had for years and then subbed ourselves out to a big, awesome company around here for 60 an hour. would make more money doing that if gas was 3-4 a gallon.

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

what company did you sub yourself out to this year in cleveland. is is H and M snow services?

9. PTSolutions

nope, never even heard of them. Im talking about Alemko. we know the owner of the company, great guy, he is out there in the lots with his guys plowing. but dont think that he pays 60 an hour as starting pay.

10. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I am still learning about the competition in my area. Last winter my equipment did very little
    and this year I have about half of what I can handle. So I'm getting there. It is quite an attitude
    adjustment for me to work more for less. Now I see that I am picking more work up for the
    warm season because as the saying goes "out of sight, out of mind."

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

More trucks with plows around here than cars on the road after a storm. Would anyone consider Mark Oomkes competition? Can't say I've ever met him but I see his trucks often enough. :)

12. redman6565

:gunsfiring: it's ridiculous, but how are guys making what they say they're making? or are most of "you" (and i use that loosely) full of sh*t when you throw around figures?

13. JDiepstra

Well I don't know what numbers you are referring to but I estimate as close to $100 per hour as I can for commercial.

Driveways are $25 to $30 a time for the normal straight two car drive.

As you can see there is more money to be made for me in driveways if I get them close together.

14. redman6565

haha no no your rates are fine, i'm not gonna name names or waste my time going back through all the threads i've been apart of, it's just in general, or maybe its just me, maybe i'm a lowballer, who knows...

15. JDiepstra

I imagine you are talking about the guys who say they won't even hit the brakes for less than $35 for a driveway or the ones who say they get $20 per parking space in a parking lot. Just post up some ballpark numbers so some of these big ballers can reply about how they make so much money.

16. redman6565

haha you got it boss

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the guys that make good money don't talk about it and the guys that do talk about it are either not very smart or are BSing. JMO

18. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

What I have found after being on these boards since 2000 & attending the SIMA show twice is some of the guys are full of BS some are not you need to weed through it. Pricing is also very regional, Redman you or I may get 150+hrs a season in, others get 10 in, in that ten they are trying to recoup all their costs for the season, so there hrly rates are higher. Also other areas of the country the dollar has more or less "value" if you will, this market is very tight from what I understand Buffalo is worse, but we have delined in past couple of years. BTW who has the Brockport Wegmans ? They have 5 loaders sitting in back, I didn't think the entire area of Brockport had a use for 5 loaders :jester:

19. redman6565

haha i used to have 5, they all migrated to batavia now, i can't ocmpete anymore. and the wegmans...you can thank you're good ole buddy rick for that one....

20. redman6565

better him than hozmer though...